Chapter Sixteen

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, plotlines, characters, places, events (etc.) all belong to J.K. Rowling, she is the rightful owner. When a character is created by me, you'll know right away ;)

A/N: I realize that I may get some hate for this but I feel the need to explain now. In the movies, they sort of take away Ron's bravery and give it to Hermione. However, in the books, she's portrayed and less headstrong than what we've seen with Emma Watson. Although bravery is certainly important for her character, I believe it adds more depth to her personality if she isn't always the strong one, especially given that she's suffering from depression (if that's not already obvious). We know Hermione would sacrifice herself to save those she loves, but here she is hesitant because she's more afraid that losing them will be out of her control. I want her to show that bravery isn't a full-time job and that it's human to take a break, feel insecure, and not want to be courageous. That doesn't mean she doesn't value it, though. And I'm saying this because I know I might get comments about why she's crying all the time or why she's always down about things. That's why.

--

2 May 1998

"Any person found to have knowledge of these events, who fails to come forward, will be treated as equally guilty." The headmaster emphasized each syllable of his claim to intimidate his students. A magnificent tactic to instill fear in others.

He cocked his brow.

"Now then. If anyone has any knowledge regarding Mr. Potter's whereabouts as of this evening, I invite them to step forward... now." His tone had a menacing cusp to it that sent chills down everyone's spine.

He glared at the Ravenclaws, specifically eyeing Miss Chang. He remembered very well from his rendezvous with Potter, attempting to teach him the art of Occlumency, that a relationship had blossomed between them. Not that it mattered now. He was afraid that the chosen one had fallen for a Weasley. Ginevra, to be exact.

One girl shuddered under his intense scrutiny.

The patters of emerging footsteps echoed eerily throughout the Great Hall, and it was accompanied with gasps.

Harry Potter had stepped forward for a confrontation.

"It seems that, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, that you still have a bit of a security issue, Headmaster," the young man quipped at his former professor.

The heavy doors squealed on their hinges and opened wide, revealing the arrival of the Order.

"And I'm afraid it's quite extensive, really." Harry's jaw tightened painfully and his nostrils curled with a distaste for Snape. "How dare you stand where he stood as Headmaster. Tell them what really happened that night, shall we? Tell everyone how you looked him in the eye--a man who trusted you--and killed him! You tell them!"

It was his last defense. Only Snape knew he hadn't wanted his old friend to die. And to have this indolent boy accuse him of a murder that he didn't plan brought down another barrier. All he had left was one more wall before what he held dear to his little black heart was exhibited for the world to see. And he needed to protect it.

He drew his wand. But no sooner had it been unsheathed, Professor McGonagall stumbled in front of Harry with her wand at the ready.

Students parted for her like the Red Sea.

He didn't want to do this but he needed to. For himself, not for Harry, not for the Dark Lord, but himself.

Shacklebolt held the Order back but encouraged them to hold out their wands. McGonagall fired first. Snape deflected it.