Chapter Thirteen

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, plotlines, characters, places, events (etc.) all belong to J.K. Rowling, she is the rightful owner. When a character is created by me, you'll know right away ;)

A/N: This is going to be a shorter chapter

--

30 April 1998

After the incident with Tonks, Hermione became more closed off and more distant. Harry and Ron were unsure of how to reestablish their positions as loyal friends. She was aware that they would listen to her if she ever needed to vent, but she didn't seem as if she had anything to vent.

It would appear that she was left empty and numb. 

Neither Harry nor Ron knew how to approach her.

Tonks swore to Hermione that she wouldn't tell anyone, including her own cousin, which took a bit of the stress off Hermione's shoulders, for which she was silently grateful.

Weeks ago, Hermione relayed to her friends that Bellatrix was concerned that something had been stolen from her vault, alluding to the idea that something precious and valuable to her was hidden at Gringotts, a horcrux, perhaps.

Harry believed it was a brilliant idea, so they formulated a new plan that could bring them to the Lestrange vault at the wizarding bank. Their only option was to concoct the Polyjuice Potion, where one of them, most likely Hermione, would pose as Bellatrix and slip into the vault to retrieve whatever the Dark Lord was trying to protect.

Yes, it was a good plan but it was incredibly risky.

Griphook, the goblin, would ensure that they made it in and hopefully help them out as well.

Hermione was hostile and skeptical of this plan. Her antipathy toward assuming the appearance of the madwoman who had tormented her in the manor was great. But her will to fight with Harry and Ron was greater, and so she agreed, but it wasn't without reluctance.

Bill and Fleur could only supply them with the standard size two-pewter cauldron, the one that all students at Hogwarts were given in their first year. But that kicked the brewing time up to 1,440 minutes. That meant constant intervals of stirring, not to mention the fluxweed in part one of the concoction didn't sprout until late April. 

All in all, the process to brew such a demanding and time-consuming potion took up nearly a month of their time. It was considerably arduous, and the stress on Hermione only increased as the days passed.

--

It was early evening when Ron burst into Hermione's room and excitedly announced that the potion was finally ready! On the outside, she was thrilled that the waiting was now over, but internally, she was not prepared.

She was called to supper but she couldn't touch her food.

"Fleur, do you have any black fabric that we could use to ensure that Hermione's position as Bellatrix is sold to the goblins at Gringotts? This plan is easily beatable and if anything goes wrong, our lives are at risk. We need to sell that she is Bellatrix," Harry said.

"Could you maybe stitch up some old lace to black fabric?" Ron wondered aloud.

"Of course! It will take some time to sew, but I can have it done by tomorrow morning. I only need Hermione's em... mesures, how do you say in English?"

"Measurements?" Hermione supplied.

"Oui! Merci, yes, measurements."

"Thank you, Fleur."