Chapter 30: Attack of the Anxiety

Jason's POV:

Jason wasn't sure about the after party. Sure, Coach Hedge had given permission... but it was crazy crowded. So many teenagers were here, it was like the whole school had been invited. 

Ever since the game and the flashback, Jason had felt this all consuming fear awaken in him. And it was more than the fear he'd felt when Piper was gone. It surrounded him, drowning his confidence in waves of panic. 

He wasn't even sure why. This memory wasn't particularly violent or scary... it just brought him back to his gang days. 

Of course, it was also highly possible that just being around all this alcohol was making him nervous. 

After all, he didn't have many good memories with it. Even though his mother was back now, and supposedly sober, he was still nervous that she would fall back into her old habits. Had she even gone to rehab? Jason didn't think so. 

There were all sorts of jello shots and other things like that stacked on every table in Drew's mansion. The effect was clearly everywhere. Jason had seen way too many hormonal couples making out on every pink couch, and way too many chug competitions. It was nauseating quite frankly.

Also, maybe the school colors were making him so scared. Orange and purple didn't really go together. Jason knew nothing about fashion, but he knew that orange and purple never mixed. 

Despite the game being finished a couple hours ago, the theme of this party was school spirit. Jason wore some jeans and a purple t-shirt, but that was about as far as he was going with this. His friends went a little more overboard. Frank still wore his sweatshirt, Leo had somehow put on his orange wig, and Percy wore some official Goode High merchandise. 

But the rest of the group invited was a sea of purple and orange. Maybe he was drowning in this ocean of horrible colors. 

Or maybe, it was really the hybrid truth or dare and seven minutes in heaven game that they were playing. Jason hadn't been picked yet..... so maybe the paralyzing fear that gripped his body was the fact that he hadn't been chosen yet... but ultimately would soon, because that bottle was definitely evil. 

Drew returned from her dare of letting Piper do her makeup. They both sat down in the two empty spots next to him, each looking annoyed for different reasons. 

Drew rolled her eyes and spun the green bottle. Her purple dress flashed green as the light hit the glass bottle. 

The bottle ended up on Khione, who wore a tight purple dress.  "So do I have to go into the closet with someone, or is it a dare?"

Drew shrugged. "I think it's a 7 minutes in heaven thing."

Khione sighed and spun the bottle again. Round and round it spun till- Jason groaned inwardly, and Drew shoved them into the closet, a malicious smile flitting across her dark red lips. 

Jason felt stifled in the closet. It was always weird to be stuck somewhere with your ex's best friend. 

"So," Khione said, breaking the silence. 

"So," Jason repeated. 

They both laughed nervously, but the noise was gone too quickly. Jason didn't like the silence. It was deafening. 

"So...how are you?" Khione tilted her face towards his. 

Jason shrugged. "Um... I'm okay, I guess."

His mind started to fix on little details like how her lipstick was berry-colored, or the way her dark eyes sparkled in the tiny sliver of light let in by the door. But then he smelt it. That acrid lemon perfume, wafting off of her in layers of sickly sweet air.