Chapter 36: How To Avoid The Paparazzi

Disclaimer: PJO isn't mine, plot is. *mic drop*

Jason's POV:

"So, yeah, I'll still graduate with full honors. This business course is only once a week, and it's supposedly college level.. so I'm technically getting my college things in," Jason finished. 

Annabeth sighed. "Okay... I'm going to sign you up for a few other courses then."

Jason took another bite of his blue cookie, figuring it was best not to fight. He'd talked to almost everyone so far about the situation, saving Annabeth for last, figuring her advice would be the most helpful. 

Annabeth blew on her coffee, though the blistering wind had probably cooled it down by now. "So, did you check if you got in early yet?"

Jason shook his head. "It doesn't really matter at this point. Did you?"

"Not yet," Annabeth said. "I don't know if they're even in yet."

"Well, I'm sure you got in," Jason said. Annabeth had surely gotten in. 

Annabeth pulled out her phone. "Let's check them at the same time."

Jason brought up the different school websites. He might as well, he supposed. It wouldn't change anything, but that was okay. 

"Um, okay, yes! I got into Stanford early," Annabeth said excitedly. 

"I got into Harvard!" Jason said. A warm glow filled his chest, like he was in a hot air balloon, floating higher and higher- but then, the balloon was punctured, falling to the ground, balloon tattered and shredded to pieces, for no, he had to be a CEO. 

"Congrats!" Annabeth said. 

Jason tried for a smile but utterly failed. "Yeah, you too!"

Annabeth noticed his downcast expression. "I'm sure you can go after your CEO stint."

Jason looked down. "I don't think that it's just a stint. My dad is not going to get any better."

"Well, I was researching last night on pancreatic cancer," Annabeth said. "Um, well, the odds aren't great, but there are several options that your dad can take. It looks like he's leaning towards chemotherapy at the moment."

"Yeah," Jason said. Jason had been reading up on it with Thalia last night too, and they'd come to similar conclusions. 

Ring! Jason's phone rang with the timer he'd set. 

Annabeth and Jason started to get up, Annabeth grabbing her grey jacket and wrapping it around her blue sweater wrapped shoulders, Jason pulling up the hood of his yellow rain jacket. 

"Oh no, you're kidding," Jason said. 

Paparazzi had found them. Several reporters held cameras and were clicking photos. Jason was tempted to give them the finger, but he had to be mature. 

Annabeth sighed. "Ugh. Not again."

And so, there began the chase of the lifetime. Running with coffee, while it was snowing, even if it was gentle snow, was hard. 

"Why did we take the train?" Jason said while running. 

Annabeth screamed back, "I don't know! Next time, we should just-"

A familiar blue car pulled up. 

"Percy!" Annabeth said, getting into the front seat and kissing him.

Jason averted his eyes and slid into the backseat, watching the cultures come nearer. When they were too close for comfort, Jason realized that it was time for drastic action.