𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. second choice

❛ ── chapter twenty-three
SECOND CHOICE.

 ❜

          𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐒 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃, the couple descended the stairs as Aera happily conversed with the other girls. The game had ended and Soo-Ah was persistent in seeing the baseball player.

Suho pressed a kiss on his girlfriend's head before leaving to throw their trash away, Aera clenched onto the heat pact as she focused on what the other girls were saying. Unbeknownst to her that the players were sneaking glances at her and whispering to each other, but it certainly didn't go unnoticed by the girl beside her.

Lim Jugyeong glanced between the team and Aera, her eyes grew deadpan as her chest tightened. But quickly snapped out of it when she made eye contact with her, Jugyeong strained her cheeks into a forced smile and watched as Aera reciprocated with an soft angelic grin that showed her pearly white teeth. The girl internally groaned as she envied another feature of her but pulled herself together when Soo-Ah had screamed a name.

" Hyung-Jin, over here! " Soo-Ah's voice was laced with excitement as the baseball player turned towards them.

And it was as if time had slowed down. It was as if he had seen an angel for the first time. She looked spellbinding, and so the famous baseball player froze. His eyes grew wide, his mouth agape as he got a good look at her.

" What on earth, " the player muttered. Soo-Ah rushed forward, followed by Tae-Hoon behind her as he held forward an arm to 'protect' her.

Jugyeong and Aera stood at their spot── the former clearly more engrossed in the baseball player than the latter as he strutted towards them. Aera was aimlessly staring into afar unaware of the man approaching them, but quickly snapped out of it when she felt a looming shadow above her.

" You weren't here for my last game, " Hyung-Jin acknowledged and Aera tilted her head. " Are you Soo-Ah's friend? " He asked, she glanced towards the mentioned girl clearly clueless on why he was suddenly striking up a conversation with her.

" What? " She finally spoke up, her doe eyes filled with curiosity. Her hands slightly fidgeted with each other hoping Suho would come back quicker.

" Two strikes, " He breathily muttered. " You're even more stunning up close, " the baseball player inched closer to her. The couple beside her clasped their hand over their mouths at his comment, which only made Aera more tense realizing they weren't going to of much help in the situation.

One person however, wasn't so peppy about it. Jugyeong clenched her fists in pure disdain, the gleam and admiration in her eyes completely faded as she witnessed the interaction beside her. It was as if she had suddenly become invisible, pushed aside.

" You're Soo-Ah's friend, which means I'm older. " Hyung-Jin stated, Aera forced a strained smile and nodded just as a bunch of other players came into view. They were cheering him on before staying to watch. " Can I get your number? " The baseball player broke the question as he handed her his phone── like he was positive she would.

" My cell number? " Aera uttered, clearly flustered from the crowd that started chanting for her to give him her number.

" I need to get going, so hurry. " At this point she was feeling pressured and her eyebrows slightly scrunched together. Just then, Suho came back to the sudden parade of baseball players surrounding his girlfriend. He was going to stop them before Aera stepped in and replied.

" I'm sorry, but I already have a boyfriend. " She stated before glancing towards Suho's direction noticing her boyfriend had came back, " he's over there. " Aera pointed towards him in acknowledgement, the baseball player looked let down at the fact but quickly recovered.

" Oh, I see. I'm sorry for asking you then, " he apologized and turned to Suho. " Hey you!  You have an amazing girlfriend, take care of her! " He shouted and the other boy's lips curled upwards into a smile.

Aera quickly skipped over to him before intertwining their hands and taking off.

" Then can I have yours? " The baseball player questioned Jugyeong this time, his phone now in front of her── like he did with Aera. Exactly like he did with Aera. At that moment, the girl didn't know how she felt, clearly flustered that now it was her turn to receive the attention but mostly jealousy and anger.

It was only after Aera had left and rejected him that she was now being focused on, Hyung-Jin hadn't even batted her an eye when the petite girl was here but now it was as if she had become visible again. It had always been like this ever since the Moon girl had showed up, no one bothered paying attention to her whenever she was near.

She was the second choice. She was always the second option, always behind Aera.

Without noticing, she was spacing out as her fists clenched harder and her expression tense. The baseball player waved a hand in front of her snapping Jugyeong out of her thoughts, she forced a sweet smile before grabbing the phone and inputting her number.

" Here, " Jugyeong muttered.

" Saved, I'll be in touch. " With that, Hyung-Jin and his team fled the stadium. Soo-Ah and Tae-Hoon swarmed the girl, the former having a giddy expression.

" No way, Hyung-Jin must be head over heels for you. " The girl theorized in happiness for her friend. " If Aera and Suho were still here, we should have all celebrated this joyous moment. " Soo-Ah whined, at the name of Aera, Jugyeong grimaced and was somewhat thankful she left.

" Nevermind them, they're off on a date so let's help Jugyeong with her crush first. " Tae-Hoon excitedly suggested and his girlfriend frantically nodded in agreement.

Jugyeong internally sighed, because her crush wasn't the baseball player. But a man who was already taken.

# 𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒 ! ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ

i finally updated T-T this chapter has been planned out for so long but i haven't had the motivation to write it out so yay ! the execution was kinda bad and it doesn't really make sense but oh well, i feel bad for jugyeong oml. i plan the next chapter to be aera and suho going on a date [whenever i decide to update again] anyways thank you for 130k reads ! please vote !