Chapter 2

The whole two months of summer vacation sucked asshole. I’ve only spent time with Cole a total of four times. It was either I was busy pulling double shifts or he was working, and in the last month he decided to go visit his mom for two weeks. It’s like he doesn’t even try anymore and I for one can’t always be the one to do it. It gets exhausting. I was in my room getting ready for work when there was a knock on my door. 

“Come in.” I looked to see my mom. Ever since my dad left when i was 10 our relationship hasn’t really been the same. She was there when she needed to be but other than that she did her thing and I did mine. She had a job but she got fired because she was always calling out. For whatever reason I don’t know, but it worked out for her. I guess she gots a boyfriend now, Peter is ok. I guess other than him checking me out whenever he gets a chance. A shiver of disgust ran down my spin at just the mere thought. 

“What’s up.” I finally asked when she didn’t say anything. 

“Peter and I were talking and we came to an agreement that we think since you are now 22 that it would be best if you got a place of your own. You know to take responsibility for yourself.” I knew this was coming. I even planned for it. That’s why I was working double shifts this summer. I was originally going to work doubles after summer, but since that day Peter tried making a pass at me and I kneed him in the balls I knew this day was eventually going to come. I tried calling Cole and texted him but he was already at his moms house and all i got in return was “I’m sorry, that sucks.” Like really Does it look like I needed that kind of response. Sighing, I finally looked at my mom. She looked like she hasn’t slept in weeks if the bags under her eye were any indication. I knew this all had to be Peters doing so i can’t even blame her for choosing him over me. That was our deal when I told mom I wanted to go to medical school since financially she couldn’t help me, she let me stay here for free while I worked my ass off to get me where I wanted to be. She agreed saying that is the least she can do. But I guess it all doesn’t work out. What if life without a little struggle. It builds character in my eyes. 

“I figure this was coming and I’ll be moving out by the end of the week.” I didn’t mean for my voice to come out so harsh but what can I say I’m a little hurt that she is choosing him over me. But she is right. I am an adult and it’s time I left the nest. She released a sigh like she was ready for me to fight her on this. But I want my mom to be happy and if this makes her happy, who am I to take this away from her?

“You're not mad?” She asked. 

“In all honesty mom. We do not have the best relationship, yeah thank you for letting me stay here when I was doing my undergraduate that really helped me out alot, but eventually this, this right here was bound to happen that's why i prepared for it. So no I am not mad but I do hope you are happy mother i really do.” I mastered the best smile I could before finishing getting ready for work. With me having to move out and Cole not answering his phone I have never felt more alone than I do right now.