chapter 20

William POV

It’s been a week since the accident with Cole and I have not left his side not once. Chloe is starting to get worried for me shit my whole hospital is. I haven't taken a shower and I am not eating as much but what am I to do as a parent? Should I leave his side and move on live my life while he is in here in a coma. Once we got here to the hospital they had to put him in an emergency coma to help his body heal. He had suffered 3 broken ribs and one of those ribs punctured his left lung which was leaking. Pneumothorax occurs when air leaks into the space between your lung and chest wall causing shortness of breaths and chest pain. After the trauma his body had to face now you can see why they had to put him under. On top of the ribs and punctured lung he had a blow to the head which fractured his skull. 

Thanks to whoever listened to my prayer because it did not cause too much serious damage but he did have to get it squared away to stop the bleeding and swelling. As a parent this would be anyone’s worst nightmare. I wouldn’t wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy. Cole as much as he is a pain in my ass is still my child. I remember the day his mother told me she was pregnant with a boy I was over the moon excited...scared but excited. I knew from that moment that I had to get my head out of my ass and do what had to be done to provide for him. I may have gone the wrong way about it and focused more on my career than be there for him as a dad when he needed me to but I bettered my lifestyle so he can grow up to live a comfortable life. And i would not change that because he would not need to know how hard it was out there, the struggling and the hardship. I mean do not get me wrong at some point he will have to grow up and work hard for what he wants especially when and if he decides to have a family he would have to step up but I would be there with him along the way and help him in every way I can. 

He doesn’t know this but I have pictures of every moment of his life. His mother might not agree on how I went about things but she made sure to include me in everything that he did. From his first tooth to his first little league soccer game his mother included me and I couldn’t be more thankful to her for that. Fuck Cole he needs to wake up soon so I could see for my own eyes that he is alright. Like I could see he is. The machines that are connected to him tell me he is but I won’t feel better until I see with my own eyes that he is awake and aware of his surroundings. 

I was so lost in my own thoughts I didn’t hear someone come in until they laid there hand on my shoulder. 

“How is our boy doing today?” I look over at Chloe. Oh my sweet sweet Chloe I had neglected her this past week not once checking in on her to see if she and our unborn child is ok. She looks different today...older even. That once shinny glow that graced her body is gone. Her skin looks paler than usual. Her once bright eyes that were filled with so much life look dead and there are dark bags under her eyes like she hasn’t been sleeping. I must of took too long to answer her back because she shifted her attention to me and her eyes softened a little. 

“Hey are you ok.” She asked me. She, Chloe asked me. I could laugh at her right then and there. I should be the one asking her that. 

“I am fine, he is fine, we are all fine.” It’s a chant I became accustomed to. Everyone asked the same question and the answer is always the same. I didn’t mean for it to come out as harsh as it did but she didn’t mind because she understood how I am feeling and I love her even more for that. 

“Ok I brought you some clothes and Cole too so when they give him his sponge bath he is comfortable in his own clothes.” She said handing the things to me. 

“You are too good to us.” She smiled softly at me and she reached down and planted a soft kiss on my lips. Fuck I missed these lips. Fuck I just miss her period. She pulled away from me just before the door to the room opened and Cole’s mother walked in. Shit.