Chapter 14- Ridiculously Obvious

Chapter 14
Ridiculously Obvious

The next day, I was minding my business as always near my lockers. Putting away my books, I felt this deep stare placed on me. It was cutting into my skin. As the seconds passed I couldn't help but feel it intensify. I whipped around and saw Chynna glaring at me with her crystal blue eyes.

She was with her little minion Georgia who was muttering something to her but Chynna was too focused on something else.

She had a sneer fixed on her face; this was nothing new. It was like she just shoved all anger onto me— as if it was her only source. There was such things as writing a journal but I doubted she even knew how to muster a compound sentence.

I couldn't take it so I walked up to her. Chynna straightened instantly. "What's with the ugly look?" I questioned as we met into an unintentional staring contest.

She didn't answer me straight away and we began staring at each other with grimacing looks. She didn't blink as if she was trying to read my life or find out something about me. I didn't know what but it was uncomfortable.

Sure, it was silly to do this, considering we were in high school but I didn't want to be wronged.

My eye started to twitch and Chynna's were starting to water. Using all my strength, I kept it open until she finally gave in and blinked.

The thing about our little staring contests were that we wouldn't acknowledge them afterwards. Yes, it was entirely odd but it was those things we never let go of. Triumph settled in my stomach as I knew I had won this one.

"Why are you hanging out with Kai?" She asked like she owned him. Way to cut to the chase. No small talk (not that I was really expecting it but manners were nice!).

I crossed my arms and my face changed to a pondering look. "Because..." I mused. I didn't want to say we were friends because it wasn't what I would've called it. We had a mutual understanding of the sorts— for the bet, of course. "I have the capability to, unlike you."

Chynna's lip twitched and her face was slowly contorting, her lip was curling downwards in a frown, her eyes were widening and her teeth were gritting together.

Did she really expect me to answer properly?

At this point, she looked like she was about to
pounce on me. Her fidgets didn't go unnoticed. However, before she could do anything, Kai appeared at my side.

Damn, how did he do that?

It was like he could hear into my thoughts and came as soon as his name was spoken.

Like Voldemort.

Except Kai had hair and a nose.

"Hey, darling." He nodded to me and kept his gaze on me as he stood close to my side. Our closeness was a little overbearing.

"Hey," I replied when an idea popped into my head. Naturally, I was going to call him by his name as I always did. But why not annoy Chynna more? "... Pretty Boy," I finished, fighting a smirk.

Kai seemed thrown off guard by this but he played it cool. I could tell by the lopsided grin. It was obvious to me after the many times I endured it.

I heard a scoff and—surprise, surprise— it was Chynna. "Hi, I'm Chynna," She made herself known to Kai as she put on a smile. Although, I wouldn't have called twisting her upper lip a smile.

Kai ripped his eyes from mines and nodded to Chynna. I couldn't fight off the smirk from my face.

"Kai," He said nonchalantly.