Nightmares That Plague Us

Your running with no place to go. The walls were beginning to close in on you, and your heart was beating erratically. Heavy thuds were bouncing off the steel floor, as the guards chased you. Guns being loaded was ringing in your ears. There was no turning back now. Life was either about to begin or end. Just as you were about to round a corner, a dark figure reached out and grabbed your arm. You're being thrown into a drainage grate and everything went black. In the darkness, you could make out a small voice calling you. It was familiar but somehow distant. Next, you felt your whole body being shaken, when you force your eyes open, you see Nat leaning over you with that pretty smile of hers. 

You sit up and look around. You were still in your room with no-one chasing you. It had all been a nightmare. But a very realistic nightmare at that. You lean into her embrace and try to calm your nerves. Sleep was something you always had dreaded. It forced you to live, your past, present and inevitable future. Nat was rocking you back and forth in a soothing motion to try and make you feel safe. You would never tell her this but it made you want to be with her forever. When your hands stopped shaking you let her go and just stared at her with a blank expression. 

You laid back down and pulled the blanket back to let her in. She moved with the grace of a delicate swan and put her head on the pillow next to you. Back in the red room, you both used to have nightmares of a similar nature, and when they sent you on your first mission together, you slept like this to try and always protect the other from the sleep demons. When Nat left, all your nightmares became unbearable to the point you were almost too scared to sleep.  It felt nice to have her back, but something always seemed to go wrong. So you don't keep your hopes up. 

Authors Note..... 

Surprise, I finally wrote the next chapter. Enjoy. 

NR2045