6

I opened my eyes and remembered where I was, on that train, we took at the beach. I looked over to the other side of the train where I saw two other soldiers sitting on the blue and green seats. One of them was still asleep and the other with a sad and tired expression on his face. Behind them is a beautiful green landscape with grass and trees for as far as you can see. I hadn't seen such a landscape in a long time.

Once I had turned my head to look in front of me I see who he's been sitting there for the whole ride. Alex. Asleep. He looked like he wasn't in a very comfortable sleeping position but it didn't seem like it was bothering him. His head was hanging down a bit while leaning against a blanket. He looked so pure and peaceful when he was asleep so perfect in every way. Even with the remains of the oil still on his face, he looked good. 

The train was slowing down and stopped just as we passed two boys working at the side of the rails. Alex opened his eyes, probably woken up from the sudden stop of the train. He immediately saw the two boys and stood up looking kind of rushed. He opened the little window and poked half of his head out of it to get the boys their attention.

"Hey!" 

He yelled and the boys turned their heads.

"Where are we?!"

He asked where we were. I wanted to know too, I didn't know where we were either.

"Siding! You'll be pulling in in a minute!" 

One of the boys answered.

"What station?"

"Woking."

"Grab me one of them papers."

The boy hesitated a bit when Alex asked for a paper.

"Come on!"

The boy did as Alex asked and grabbed the top paper of the stack next to him. He couldn't reach the window so Alex put out his arm to be able to grab it. Once he had it he sat back down, opened the paper rather quickly, and started reading the headings. 

"Can't bear. You read it."

He couldn't read it. I was confused about why he couldn't, why he was looking concerned or scared almost.

"Can't bear it?"

"They'll be spitting at us in the streets. If they're not locked up for the invasion."

I take the paper that Alex had put down on the little table. I still didn't know what he was talking about, I didn't know what I could expect. So I started reading out loud.

"Wars are not won by evacuations."

I read the first sentence. At that moment a man started knocking at the window next to us as we pulled into the train station. I looked up from the article and saw that Alex couldn't or didn't want to look out the window. He had turned his head away afraid to look at the man on the platform.

"I can't look."

While I ignored the man I continued reading.

"But there was a victory inside this deliverance which should be noted."

I couldn't believe what I was reading and apparently, Alex couldn't either. We immediately looked up at the man who was still standing at our window now with two beers in his hand. Around him, there were other people cheering and clapping at us. The man handed us the beers through the little window and Alex received them from him. We couldn't believe what was happening. 

As Alex was still hanging out of the window when I finished reading the article. I put the paper next to me on the seat and took a sip from my beer while looking at Alex who had the biggest smile of relief on his face.

1943 - Saturday, May 1st 

I close the journal. I think that is enough writing for today, I can continue tomorrow. I put it down on the kitchen table I am sitting at. 

When I came back from my mission at Dunkirk, it wasn't like coming home because I have no one to come home to. I wanted to find a place for myself and see what I was going to do.

So now I am here three years later in a small house. It's not much but it feels a bit like home for me, so I'm happy. 

I stand up from the chair I was sitting on and stroll over to the little window in the kitchen in my socks. It is a beautiful day today, I think by myself and then I realize I still have to go to the market to get some fruits and maybe some bread too.

After I had put on some decent clothes I walk to the hallway. I put my shoes on and throw my coat over my shoulders and my arms through the armholes. Before I leave I quickly grab my wallet, keys, and a bag.

When I pull open the front door I get a shiver over my whole body because of the sharp wind that came over me. I immediately reach for the buttons on my coat and buttoned it up.

I make my way to the market that is only around the block.

As I am walking around looking for some food with a clear blue sky above my head I hear all types of market vendors shouting at the top of their lungs to get more customers. I am walking past stalls with some delicious fruits, maybe I should get some of those. 

While I am deep in my thoughts I suddenly stumble into someone. I grab ahold of their arm to prevent myself from falling on my face.

"I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going." I say, looking at the ground hoping the person wouldn't get mad.

"Oh don't worry about it. I wasn't looking either." The person says back.

I recognize that voice. Could it be? I raise my head with my hands still on the forearms of the person in front of me. Then my eyes catch a couple of emerald green eyes. 

Him. The beautiful boy I haven't seen in three years.