17

I turn the last number on the phone and bring the horn to my ear. It feels like forever before he picks up the phone.

"Alex?" I say carefully after a few seconds of silence. "Tommy?" he asks.

"Yes, it's me."

"W- why are you calling? I thought you didn't want to hear or see me ever again."

"Well, yeah I did at first," I say thinking back at my terrible reaction in that alleyway.

"Oh..." He sounds a bit sad and disappointed.

"But it's okay now."

"How? It's so bad what I did. You can't believe how sorry I am." I can hear the guilt in his voice.

"Do you know Elise came by today?"

"Did she really?" He asks surprised. I assume Elise didn't tell him anything about her visiting me.

"Yeah, she did"

"So please consider giving him a second chance. He didn't mean to hurt you in any way," Elise says as she puts on her coat ready to leave. "Maybe give him a call. If you are ready for that of course."

"I will. Thank you so much for passing by. I really appreciate it," I say, opening the front door for her.

"You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your evening, Tommy."

"You too, Elise." She steps outside and I give her a polite smile before closing the door.

I walk into the kitchen to get a cup of milk before walking into the living room. I place the cup next to the phone and pick up the horn. Let's give this a try.

"I am so sorry. I already told her that I would fix this myself. I am so sorry. I will tell her that this is not okay."

"Alex, I am happy she did."

"What? You are?"

"Yes, I am. We had a really good talk. So please don't be mad at her. In fact, you should thank her. She made me realize how bad you must have felt and that I should give you another chance."

"A- and do you?" He asks with little confidence. "D- do you give me another chance?"

"I thought everything through and you know, I was very drunk and we just had an argument. It was just too much at once. So yes, I give you a second chance."

"Yeah, you're right. Thank you."

"No problem... So from now on, you don't have to worry anymore. I am not mad."

...

Alex and I didn't talk for much longer. I was getting tired and I guess he was too because he didn't sound as enthusiastic as he usually is.

I wake up at the sound of the phone ringing. Who calls on a Sunday morning? I force myself to sit up and look at my watch.

11:27

I must have been very tired last night. I don't like waking up late. It always feels like you have wasted half your day. Especially on a Sunday because I always want to go to the market. It's a good way to start the day.

I walk into the living room in the direction of the phone.

"Hello?"

"Tommy?" A familiar female voice asks on the other side of the phone.

"Yes, that's me."

"Hi, Tommy. It's me, Elise."

"Yeah, hi how are you?"