1

1971

"I have one class left for the day and then I will be home," I say through the phone.

"Okay great, and are you going to cook or should I?" He says back. "You know what? I am going to, you are probably going to be tired after your busy day." He adds.

"That's very sweet of you. I have to go now the class is about to start. I'll see you at home." "Okay, see you."

Just when I want to put the phone down he speaks again. "Love you, sweetheart!" "Love you more," I say back before I actually put the phone down.

"Was that Alex?" One of the other teachers asks as she walks into the teachers room.

"Yeah, it was. He was asking how I was doing and when I would be home." I say to answer her question.

"You two are very cute together."

I smile to thank her as I walk out of the room on my way to my last class of the day. She is one of the few people that are nice to me about Alex and me. A lot of people still have a problem with it and others just don't know.

I walk into the classroom and start my lesson as I do every day.

I love being a history teacher. I always wanted to be a teacher, especially to teach history. It's not what my parents wanted, they wanted me to become like a lawyer or something but I was definitely not going to do that. It's now my 10th year of teaching history in this school and I still love doing it with all my heart.

...

I open the door of our home and call Alex.

"Honey, I'm home!''

The house is not big but it's something.

"Ahh, you're home!" I hear him screaming from the kitchen. The house smells super good. I already know by the smell that Alex is making something with thyme.

"It smells delicious in here," I say as I walk into the kitchen. Alex is standing there in his apron. I love it when he wears it and it always makes me smile.

"I know it does, I made it myself," he brags as he walks up to me in the small kitchen and gives me a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Did you like the food?"

"Yes, it was very good, thanks again for cooking tonight," I say while I walk up to Alex who is already sitting on the couch. I go sit down next to him and lay my head in the crook of his neck. It is always very cozy when we lay like that on the couch.

"No need to thank me, you know I love to cook for us," he says, placing a small kiss on my lips.

"How was work today?" I ask to switch up the conversation.

"Pretty good, not too busy. What about you?" Alex is a journalist for the local paper. He loves doing it, it was always his dream job. It's amazing that we both got to do what we love, it makes life just a little bit more fun.

"It was a pretty good day too. In my last class, we actually started the lessons about world war two."

"Oh really that will be fun," he replies with not as much enthusiasm as before. It is still a sensitive subject for him, that's why we don't ever really talk about it. I take his hand to comfort him a bit because I could feel him starting to get a little bit tense.

We stayed quiet for a bit before Alex spoke again.

"Do you still have that journal?" I was taken aback by what he just asked me. We never talk about the journal. It is the journal I started writing after everything that happened at Dunkirk. I needed something to let go of everything that happened and the best thing for me was to write a journal. It never really did but it helped at the time.

"Yes, I believe I do, why?" I respond, turning my head to look at him.

"Oh, nothing special. I just remembered that you had a journal back in the day. My favorite part is the part where you write about the moment we met."

"I love that part too. I remember it like it was yesterday."

I am very thankful that we met that moment at Dunkirk beach. I think I always knew deep down that he was the one when our eyes met for the first time.

The rest of the night was calm and peaceful. We watched tv and decided to go to bed a bit earlier than normal because we were both pretty tired. We kissed each other goodnight and I fell asleep shortly after that.