15

I close the door behind me and make my way to the living room.

I take a seat on my couch and lay my head back on the headrest. I tried clearing my mind for a second when I suddenly remembered something.

The phone number.

I let my head roll to the side and see the folded paper next to the phone.

I stand up and walk towards the phone. I don't move for almost 10 minutes before I reach for the paper. Folding the paper open with one hand, I pick the phone up with my other hand. I wait another 10 minutes before I turn the last number.

My heart starts racing like crazy when I put the phone to my ear.

"Hello, Alex speaking."

It feels like I haven't heard his deep voice in ages even though it has only been 2 days. Now that I hear his voice again I realize that I have been thinking about him almost every minute for the past few days.

"Hello?" He repeats.

I jump out of my thoughts but I am unable to form any words. I stay frozen in the middle of my living room with the phone in my hand.

"Hello, is anyone there?"

I suddenly regret my decision to call him. Maybe he was sleeping or he's busy.

"Hello, anyone?" He asks for the third time.

Without giving it another thought I put down the phone and release a big breath. I can't do this now. For the rest of the evening, I prepare myself some delicious dinner, read in my book, and write a bit in my journal.

...

I couldn't concentrate at all today. The conversation from yesterday kept slipping back in my head.

I've never had that much trouble forming sentences.

I also kept thinking about what that "friend" is going to be like.

I hope she is nice. But not too nice. Not that it would make any difference since I already know Alex is more than friends with her or definitely wants to be.

...

After I put a record on my record player I sit myself down on my chair. I take my book from the table in front of me and open it where I left off last time. There are only 30 pages left to read so I will probably finish the book tonight.

There is already another book ready for me to read.

I read the last page and looked at the clock.

7:00 pm.

How perfect.

I put the book down next to me. Next to the phone. Next to the folded note.

I get a strong tendency to turn the number and to call again. I really want to hear his voice again and talk with him for a bit. But does he want me to call him? Maybe it's too soon. Maybe I have to wait another two days, or even three.

I get up from my chair and walk to the kitchen.

While waiting for my coffee to get ready I lean against the countertop. I thought making myself some coffee wouldn't take my mind off things, but it isn't helping at all. I take two steps forward to look into the living room.

Due to my lack of focus, I almost burn my fingers again by carrying my coffee back to the living room.

That damn phone number.