I like you

Dominic held my hair back as I continued to sit hunched over and focused on trying not to get sick again.

"Dani?" I heard him say, " are you ok?"

I sat up slowly and nodded my head, "I think I've just had too much to drink."

He looked around awkwardly and pursed his lips before saying, "so, you're a lesbian? That's new, that's new, right?"

My eyes widened in horror, I had forgotten that I came out to him, "I-I," I didn't know what to say, "please don't tell anyone," I tried to keep the tears at bay but it didn't work.

"Dani, I'm not going to tell anyone," Dom soothed. He looked at me then smiled, "so I take it that your answer to going out is no?"

I laughed while I dried my tears on the sleeve of his jacket, "that's a hell no," I sniffed then gave him a grateful smile, "in the most loving way.'

"I won't lie, it does make me feel a little better that you're a lesbian and that's why you don't want to date. I don't think my ego would be able to handle the rejection if you were straight," he laughed.

I shook my head with a smile, "it's just one of the many reasons why I won't date you." I stood up and took the jacket off, "I think I'm gonna head home. My head's killing me."

The front door opened and we both turned to see Natalie closing the door softly.

"Why are you sneaking around?" Dominic asked scaring her.

"Jesus!" she put her hand up to her chest and frowned, "what are you guys doing out here?"

"I was just about to leave," I sighed.

"I'll walk you home," Dominic suggested.

I shook my head, "no, don't leave on my accord. I'll be fine," I tried to keep myself from swaying but the beer was hitting me so fast it was hard to even see straight now.

"I'll bring her home, Dominic. You can stay and enjoy the party, I was on my way out anyway," Natalie offered. She placed a hand on the elbow and helped me down the stairs, "I'll make sure she gets home ok."

She turned to me, "did you want to say bye to anyone?"

Mia came to mind but I shook my head, "no I'm good to go if you are." There were too many things to unpack tonight and I was worried if I saw Mia, it would only confuse me more.

"Text me when you get home?" Dominic asked, "I'll let Mia know you felt sick."

We said our goodbyes and Natalie walked me to her car, "thank God you drove," I groaned as I walked barefoot holding my heels in my hands.

Natalie laughed and opened the passenger door for me, "one of the few pros to having a bum heart is that I can't drink."

I frowned as she closed the door and walked over to the driver's side and started the car. I hated when she talked about her condition like that.

"Alright, can I get your address?" She asked looking down at her phone for maps.

"How are you so okay with talking about your condition so nonchalantly?" I asked.

Natalie's eyebrows went up in surprise and then sighed, "because it already takes up a huge portion of my life but I refuse to let it define what I am or how I live. If I at least pretend that it's not a big deal, then maybe it'll convince me that it's not." She shook her head, "don't get me wrong, I'm scared shitless about the outcome of not knowing if I'll make it to College, but being scared and worrying won't do anything." She shrugged, "besides, my parents do enough worrying for everyone around me."