Please don't already have someone else

A couple of days later, I was back at my desk making notes while Mia was having dinner on Facetime.

She was only able to stay a couple of days but they were exactly what I needed. What I didn't think through was how hard it was going to be to say goodbye to her a second time.

I put my pen down and rubbed my tired eyes. After a full week of skipping classes, I was playing catch up and it was kicking my ass.

"I never liked Tess by the way," she said out of the blue.

I stopped rubbing my eyes and laughed, "you've never even talked to her until last week."

"Yeah, and that's why," she pointed at me, "I was always so excited to meet her but she was always kind of too busy."

I pursed my lips, "she said she was working on a group project but she was probably meeting up with that guy."

Mia sat back in her chair and brought the straw up to her lips, "like I said, never liked her." I saw her eye the notebook in front of me and she quickly put her cup down, "but do you know who I do like?"

"Chris Evans?" I chuckled, knowing that she was obsessed with him, in almost a frightening way.

"No, well yes, but not who I was thinking of at the moment," she played with the straw before she gave me a cheeky smile, "Sadie."

I frowned, "Sadie?" I shrugged, that was kind of left field, "yeah Sadie's cool, terrible at math though."

"Why don't you help her out then? Who knows what might bloom from this friendship."

There was a stillness between us that you could hear a pin drop, "what are you doing, Mia?"

"What do you mean?" she asked innocently.

"Why are you pushing Sadie onto me?"

"I'm not doing anything," she argued, when she saw that I wasn't buying it she continued, "but if I was, would it be such a bad idea? She's nice and definitely the kind of girl you can take home to your parents and Grammy."

"Mia, I'm still kind of traumatized because of Tess."

Mia folded her arms, "throwing yourself into schoolwork isn't healthy either."

I chuckled while I continued making notes, "I'll think about it," I said after a long period of silence, "I don't even know if she's interested in girls, we don't even have anything in common."

"she's definitely interested, she was giving you the eyes and you have that class together," Mia pointed out.

I rolled my eyes, "having a finance class together would be a terrible thing we have in common."

Mia rested her head on her chin, "it's a start and who knows, maybe she's just as tone-deaf as you are," she said giggling.

My jaw went slack with her slander, "that's really rich coming from you, Ms. I can't pick a key so I'll sing in all of them."

Mia shook her head with a smile, "you know, because of you I can't listen to Bohemian Rhapsody anymore. You ruined a classic."

The memory of Mia and I singing that song before she left on her trip came to mind and I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face.

"I distinctly remember the fact that it was you who butchered the song," I put a finger to my chin and frowned for added effect, "your singing was so bad that Derek came into my room and yelled at us."

Mia laughed, "omg I remember that!" she dusted her hands off and looked directly at the screen, "we both know that's a lie, but for your peace of mind I'll agree." She bit her lip in contemplation, "so does that mean you're gonna ask Sadie out?"