I only need you

Dani

Standing up in a room where almost everyone was sitting down felt like I was in elementary school again and was asked to read out loud in class. When I objected to Mia's wedding, I expected gasps and whispers, which I did get, but I don't think I was ready for the side eyes everyone was giving me.

Everyone in my section looked up at me and I was about to sink back down in my seat and apologize but then I made eye contact with Mia. Her eyes alone gave me the courage to stay standing up.

Del hit my hip, "what are you waiting for? Go!" she whispered to me.

I nodded and stumbled over the guests' legs trying to make my way back to the aisle, disgruntled guests made their annoyance at me very clear as I gave them apologetic smiles. I finally made it onto the silk white material and tried my best to emit as much confidence as I could without worrying about the hundreds of eyes on me.

"Looks like he had a mistress on the side," I heard someone one Mia's side say out loud as I walked past. I mean I couldn't blame them for thinking that, I was wearing a white dress to their wedding and I wasn't the bride but I almost gagged hearing that because even if I wasn't a raging homosexual, I'd like to think I'd have better taste in men. But none of that didn't matter to me now that I had Mia's attention.

As I got closer to the alter, Emil touched Mia's wrist, "honey, the I do's come a little later," I heard him say.

Mia didn't answer him and just continued staring at me with confusion in her eyes. "What are you doing here?" she asked once I got close enough.

"I object to this marriage," was all I said.

Somewhere behind me, a man's voice called out, "I object as well."

I turned around to see who was talking and a well dressed man stood up and made his way to the alter. He buttoned his suit jacket and with a confident expression, walked down the aisle with way more grace and dignity than I did.

Are you kidding me? There's another guy here after Mia's heart?! This was supposed to be my moment.

"Looks like she had a piece on the side too," I heard someone joke and shot them a glare.

I looked at both Mia and Emil's expression but they were both unreadable.

The priest came between them, "what on earth is going on here?"

Emil shook his head, "I'd like to continue with this wedding, Father," he said taking Mia's hands and facing her towards him.

"Uh," I waved my hand, "did you not hear us object to it? Why would the priest ask if anyone objected if he was just going to ignore it?"

"What do you want, Dani?" Mia asked in a frustrated voice.

"You."

She dropped her hands from Emil's and crossed her arms as a collective gasp came from her wedding guests.

"I don't know why I sent you that text but I lied. I don't regret that night at all," I stepped closer to her and held her hands, "what I do regret is waiting until you were at the altar to tell you how I feel about you."

I saw her lips twitch in a smile for a second before Emil interrupted us, "what's going on here?" he asked genuinely confused.

I took a deep breath, "I know you love Mia, but I've loved her far longer than you've even known her. I'm not trying to invalidate what you feel for her but I do want you to know that I'm fighting for her right now and will continue fighting for her until she says otherwise." I looked over at the mystery guy beside me, "I don't even know who he is," I gestured with my thumb, "but I'll fight him too if I have to."