I don't like your boyfriend

16 Years Old

The bell rang while I put my bag in my locker, the morning went by so slow and I was so hungry that I could probably eat a horse.

"Hey," Mia appeared beside me leaning on the locker next to mine, "ready to go for lunch?"

To my surprise, Mia's stayed by my side since the first day of high school. Of course, she made friends almost immediately and while I expected her to pull away, she hasn't. She was on the cheerleading team and part of the popular crowd but she always made sure she carved out some time for me. But being neighbours was a good advantage we had. Meanwhile, we were already in our Sophomore year of high school and I have yet made a friend. Of course, I had acquaintances, but none that I was close to.

"Yeah," I said closing it, "I have to stop by the coach's office first, she said she wanted to talk to me about the upcoming meet."

"Sure," she pushed off the locker, "I'll save a spot for us under the tree."

I smiled, "Thanks bud. I'll grab us two cookies from the cafeteria on the way out." Mia smiled at me and I watched her walk away, seeing multiple people say hi to her as she walked past.

I looked down at my phone to check the time when something else caught my attention.

"Urgh, stupid piece of metal!"

I watched the girl kick her locker angrily and let out a defeated sigh as she rested her head against the cold metal. Normally, I would've continued walking and avoided eye contact but I felt bad for her. It brought back the memory I had of feeling lost being in a new school.

My legs walked in her direction while my mind rehearsed what to say. I might be 2 years older but talking to new people still scared me.

"E-excuse me," I cleared my throat, "would you like some help?"

The girl rolled her head to the side to look at me and I was shocked at how pretty she was.

She had long black hair that went down her back and curled a little at the bottom, full pale pink lips, and long eyelashes. But it was her eyes that pulled me in, eyes so brown that I got lost in them for a moment.

"That would be great," she mumbled with a small smile, then moved over to the next locker.

I snapped out of my daydream and gave her a half-smile, "can I have your locker combination? I promise I won't break into it after this."

Her smile grew, "don't bother, there won't be anything in it because I probably won't be able to get it open after this anyway. It's 6-18-32."

I turned the dial according to the numbers and pulled the lock off her locker. Her mouth and eyes were wide with surprise, "how did you do that? I literally did the same thing!"

I laughed and handed the lock to her, "these lockers are really old so you have to be slightly off when you turn the dial."

She looked down at the lock in her hand, 'thanks for the tip. The last time I actually attended a school was years ago and we didn't have lockers."

I tilted my head in confusion, "what do you mean?"

She chuckled as she started to put her books in her locker, "I'm kind of new," she scrunched her face, "well, old-new. The last time I was here, I was a freshman. I have some underlying health issues that I had to take time off of school for a while. But I was so far behind that I was held back for 2 years. This was the only year I could experience high school before I have to do adult school." She made a face wrinkling her nose, "but I think I'd rather get my GED online." She looked around, a lot changed in 3 years."