I want to watch the sunset turn into a sunrise with you

22 years old – Graduation day

"Congratulations to the class of 2015," the Dean said into the mic as we all reached for the caps on our heads and threw them up triumphantly.

I can't believe I'm finally done with school, no more all-nighters, no more group projects, essays, the mad dash to sign up for the best classes, or logging into Blackboard anxiously waiting to check for marks.

"Dani!" I looked to my right and saw Delilah making a beeline for me.

"Del! We did it!" I screamed pulling her into a big hug.

"I know! I can't believe I passed all my classes, I mean, I barely did but it still counts!" she laughed and held the military tags with one hand, "I did it, baby."

"Jason would've been so proud of you," I never got to meet him but from the stories she told, he seemed like a pretty stand-up guy.

Across the way, I saw Sadie congratulating her friends and our eyes met. She gave me a big grin and a wave which I returned.

"I'll never understand why you two broke up," Delilah commented.

2 years ago

Sadie and I were driving back to campus in complete silence, I watched the scenery pass as I looked out the window, "everything alright babe?" I asked breaking the silence and taking her hand.

She turned to look at me, "yeah, just tired," she smiled.

"Thank you so much for coming home with me," I pecked her cheek, "everything just goes smoothly with you around."

She laughed, "does it?"

The driver pulled up to the front of the school and we got out, wheeling our bags to the front of the school.

"Did you want to study for finals maybe sometime this week?" I asked feeling awkward. In the year that Sadie and I have been dating conversation always flowed smoothly between us but something was off. Now that I think about it Sadie had been pretty quiet ever since we boarded the plane save for when she would hold my hand to calm me down during take-off and touching down.

"Dani," she said in a quiet voice, "I lied."

I stopped walking when I realized she stopped, "lied about what?" I walked back to her.

"Everything's not alright," her voice was clipped and tears started to come down.

"Hey," I rushed and hugged her, "what's going on?"

"We need to break up," she cried.

"what are you talking about? Why?"

She looked at me with sad eyes, "you're in love with Mia."

I took a step back as if I had just been burned, "I- I'm not!"

She closed the distance between us and held my hand, "this past year you've made me so happy and I couldn't have asked for a better girlfriend but you're in love with someone else."

I shook my head, "I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

"I heard you say you love her, Dani."

I'm pretty sure I could feel the blood drain from my face when she said that, "I said that as a friend."

"We've been dating for a year and not once have you ever said those words to me."