It was always you

Dani

"I'm gonna need you to put some aloe vera on my back when we get home," I murmured as we waited for our luggage in customs.

She laughed and wrapped her arm around my waist, "I told you to put more sunscreen on, what happened to teenage Dani, who was always so careful?"

I smiled and kissed the tip of her nose, "this Dani likes to take risks, remember?"

"Thank God for that," she giggled.

My life has been in a whirlwind since I crashed Mia's wedding but I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. It was crazy to think that up until a year ago, I was content with just being Mia's best friend but now that I had a taste of what it's like to be Mia's partner, the person she looks for at every party so we can cut early, and the person she cuddles with every night, I'm never letting this feeling go. I watched our luggage come around on the carousel and tapped the pocket of my carry-on to make sure the engagement ring was still there.

When Mia mentioned that she wanted to travel a little more and asked if I wanted to come, I thought that was the perfect time for me to propose. We've only been dating for a year but I've known her my whole life and I knew that she was the person I'm meant to be with.

But it was clear that she had the same idea because anytime we went to dinner and there was a romantic ambiance, she would talk about how much she loved me and couldn't wait to spend the rest of her life with me. But before she could pop the question, I would make sure to ruin the mood by making a bad dad joke because I wanted to propose to her first and I refuse to lose. 

I grabbed our bags and sighed, "I'm not saying that travelling with you was horrible, but I'm really glad we're home."

She kissed my cheek, "I know, babe. We just have a car ride home and we can sleep in our own bed."

She held my hand as we walked through the terminal but was suddenly stopped when my name was called. 

"Dani!" aunt Jess waved and ran over, "are you two coming home or flying out?"

"Coming home," I answered tiredly. On any other occasion, I would've loved to see aunt Jess but the jet lag was hitting me hard and I just wanted to sleep for an entire day.

"We did a bit of travelling the last couple of weeks," Mia added with a smile.

I put my arm around her waist, "where are you flying off to aunt Jess?"

"Hopping on a quick flight and spending a week on a cruise with some friends," her smile brightened, "I'm actually going with Claire and her wife. They should be coming soon, why don't you stick around for a little bit?" She looked my way quickly and I knew she knew about the proposal. But I shook my head with a sad smile to let her know it didn't happen.

"Travelling is not Dani's strong suit so I think we might just head home," Mia answered for us, "right, babe?"

I nodded with a smile, "right. But please tell Claire we're sorry we missed her and that she was right." I squeezed Mia's waist, "everything worked out in the end just like she said."

"I will," Aunt Jess leaned in to give me a hug, "don't be discouraged, you'll find another opportunity to propose, okay?" she whispered in my ear before she moved to Mia, "Mia, always a pleasure to see you," she gave her a hug as well, "take care of my niece, okay?"

Mia giggled, "always. Have a safe trip Aunt Jess, hope you guys have fun!"

The great thing about being in a relationship with Mia is that she was already comfortable around my family and vice versa. My family loved Mia and Dominic.