You're a sight for sore eyes

Mia let me cry for a while, alternating between whispering that everything was going to be okay and if I wanted her to kick Tess's ass. As much as I would've loved to see Mia do that, I was so tired and still felt sick.

She eventually figured out I was hungover and put me to bed, saying she'd be back with some stuff. I was too tired to try and fight her on this so I climbed into bed and fell asleep almost immediately.

I heard Mia come in before I could see her, she was never the subtle or stealthy type.

"Dani," she called out softly and sat down on the bed, "I brought some food and some water for you."

I opened my eyes and realized that was a mistake, my head felt like it was full of rocks. "I'm never drinking again," I croaked.

She laughed and walked over with a bottle of water and some ibuprofen, "you said that back in high school. I didn't believe you then and I definitely don't believe you now."

I groaned but took the medicine from her, "every time I drink, I end up with the worst headache."

"There's something called knowing your limit and stopping when you've reached it," she looked down at me with a stern look on her face but then her eyes softened, "but I'll give you a pass this time because I really can't blame you."

I looked away and blinked away the tears, "why are you here, Mia? Not that I'm not happy that you are, but aren't you supposed to be anywhere but here?"

"When you sent me to voicemail the first time I didn't think anything of it. I just assumed you were busy with school, but when it kept happening I got worried," she pursed her lips, "I message Delilah just to make sure you were okay, not pushing yourself too hard and eating all your meals at a decent time." She clenched down on her jaw, "and then she told me what really happened."

"Please don't be mad at her," she added quickly, "I kind of forced it out of her, we were both worried about you."

I hugged my knees to my chest, "I'm okay, Mia."

"Really? You're okay? Because when you walked in you looked like death," she retorted.

"That's not a very nice thing to say, I'm pretty sure I've damaged my liver beyond repair," I mumbled.

She opened up a container and the sweet smell of waffles invaded my nostrils, "I can't help you with your liver but I can try and help you with the hangover." She started cutting up the waffle with a knife and fork while placing just the right amount of syrup before she handed me the fork with a piece of waffle on it.

"Thanks," I mumbled before I put the fork in my mouth.

She nodded, "when you're done eating, we can go grab a coffee and you can show me around campus."

I dropped the plastic utensils in the container and shook my head violently even though my head was killing me, "what if we run into Tess?"

"Then we'll be cordial to her," she chuckled, "I wasn't actually serious about beating her up," she raised an eyebrow, "unless?..." she trailed off.

I laughed and immediately held my head, "stop making me laugh, my head still hurts."

Mia waved that complaint off, "the ibuprofen will kick in in about 10 minutes. So that gives you 10 minutes to finish the entire waffle."

I held the fork up to her, "it's too big, can you help me finish it."

She let out a big sigh but leaned down and bit down on the waffle, "is it alright if I take a quick shower?"

I threw a clean towel at her, "Yeah, go ahead."

"You better be done eating when I finish," she pointed at me, "because Mia hasn't had her coffee yet and no one likes angry Mia."