You make me smile, a lot

18 years old

"A-T-T-A-C-K. attack, attack, attack!"

I sat in the stands of the Homecoming Football game. I hated coming to after-school games, but Mia insisted that I come. Something about it being our last year and making the most out of it. The stands were crowded with people who dressed in red face paint or red sweaters to represent our school.

"A-T-T-A-C-K, the Cardinals are back!"

I looked forward and saw Mia being lifted onto two other people while doing a high V. She dismounted and cheered with the rest of her squad and I smiled at the huge grin she had on her face. God, she's beautiful.

"Be still my heart, is that Dani Lennox?"

I didn't have to turn around to know that it was Natalie. "T'is, it looks like something opened up in my schedule."

Natalie giggled and took a seat beside me, "but for real, what are you doing here?"

I shrugged, "Mia wouldn't stop nagging me to come to this game." I looked at the scoreboard and groaned when I saw that we were losing. Bad. "We're losing by like 20 points but the stands are packed, what's the point?"

"Wow, you really haven't been to a homecoming game before," she chuckled, "it's about being part of a community, coming together to cheer for something as a unit."

I tilted my head and thought about her answer.

"And everyone drinks in their cars before the game so it's a pretty good time," she leaned closer to me, "the Homecoming game is the only time the school turns a blind eye to drinking on campus."

"Isn't that kind of irresponsible of them?"

Natalie shrugged, "I don't know if you've noticed but the school board doesn't give a shit about a lot of things. Drinking on campus at a homecoming game is the least of their worries." She pulled out a small can of beer from her sweater, "it's not ice cold but do you want one?"

I laughed and shook my head, "I don't like to drink, not after what happened at Kyle's party," I clarified cringing at how less than graceful I was, especially when I came out to Dominic.

We both watched as one of the football players from our school tackle the rival team to the ground.

I winced at the sound of helmets smashing together as the player for the opposite team went down. The referee blew the whistle and both teams regrouped.

"Not a fan of football?" Natalie asked beside me.

I shook my head, "not really."

"Then why bother coming? If you're not into football, not much of a drinker. Doesn't sound like an ideal Friday night for you," she laughed.

"Mia wants to spend as much time before we go off to different Colleges."

"Hmm, interesting," she replied and looked back onto the field.

"What is?"

She turned her attention back to me and smirked, "that you came to a Homecoming game to cheer on a cheerleader, kind of ironic, don't you think?"

I laughed, "when you put it like that, it does sound kind of silly."

She nudged my shoulder with hers and smiled, "silly kind of suits you, though."

I opened my mouth for a snarky response but the smell of popcorn and nacho cheese, filled the air and my stomach rumbled.

It was obviously loud enough for Natalie to hear, "are you hungry? I can go grab some food."