13

Jacob should've said something, responded in some way to the declaration, but it hit him like a bucket of cold water. He can feel his eyes widen a bit before he seizes up, legs subconsciously locking themselves around Edward. He knows he's either making a lot of noise or none at all as his lips part on their own. He can see black dots forming at the edge of his vision before he can't see anything at all, physically feeling his eyes roll back before he can even process that it's happening. 

When he finally unclenches and takes a breath, he can feel something warm running down his thighs. Soon after, he can feel the exhaustion set in as his eyes fall shut and he can barely bring himself to open them. He can hear a quiet hum above him, can hear as it slowly fades away.

He wakes up to Alice smiling down at him. 

He should be more concerned than he is for multiple reasons. When he fell asleep, he was naked from the waist down and he was pretty sure there was some trace of Edward somewhere on him. That and the whole wet t-shirt contest that he'd joined against his will. He should be mortified. Instead, he feels warm and fuzzy and tired. The kind of tired that seeps deep into a person's bones. He's not sure he'll ever leave this lumpy mass he and Edward now call a bed. 

It's without his conscious consent that he frantically starts looking around for him, forcing himself up in his search. His body ached, sure, but that didn't stop him from tossing half of the laundry he'd been hoarding onto the floor.

"Jacob?" 

Edward's not next to him. He probably could have figured that out with a single glance, but hindsight sucks. He lurches forward out of the bed, almost stumbling face first into the floor. He only has about .1 second to thank his ancestors that he has clothes on.

"Jacob!" 

His legs are basically noodles and he ends up falling directly onto his ass anyway, trying his hardest to suppress the groan that came from somewhere low in his gut. 

He finally decided, since it was going to take him a while to get up, to acknowledge the voice calling his name. When his eyes found Alice's, she seemed alarmed. He hadn't hurt himself, he was fine. He just hadn't thought this entire thing through properly.

"What?" he finally sighed out, trying not to seem as embarrassed as he felt as she continued to look at him like he was going to shatter into a million pieces.

"Edward's making breakfast," she lets him know and he wished she'd just left after that, but of course she appears in front of him, offering her hands out to help him up. 

"I'm good." 

He's not good. His knees, lower back, and ass hurt, but he would rather keep that kind of information to himself. 

"Well, maybe, but how am I going to explain how you got on the floor to Edward?" She looks down at Jacob as if he should understand exactly what she means. Maybe he does, but he doesn't want to talk about it, so he takes her hands without any further protest and tries to contain any grunts of pain on his way up. 

The way she moves makes him feel self-conscious as she zips back over to where she previously was, waiting patiently for him. He reluctantly and slowly maneuvered his way across the bed.

When he finally gets comfortable, he glances back over at her again. She has this pitying look on her face and he almost feels defensive. His mobility wasn't that bad.

"Maybe you should rest, you look a bit tired." She gives him what is probably supposed to be a reassuring smile, but after seeing the expression on his face, it drops into an apologetic grimace. She decides to continue on with why she's here in the first place.