16

They were supposed to be relaxing, finding something to take their minds off of the imminent threat. Most of the group was out hunting for Bella while they were left to try to relax. Alice suggested watching a little TV, Rosalie suggested having lunch together, and Leah suggested walking around the house aimlessly because they couldn't really risk going outside. Jacob had completely ignored those ideas because he, with all of the time he spends laying on piles of clothes, is tired. However, because Edward is Edward, it's about a good ten minutes of quietly laying there before he's got a hand shoved down his pants. So now, instead, he's sitting here with Edward staring at him in utter confusion.

"I'm not turning into a woman." Jacob feels the need to clarify, which only gets him an eyebrow raise and a skeptical look.

"My body is reacting like a standard female werewolf body would because of-," he gestures to his stomach quite aggressively, "this."

Edward doesn't look like he necessarily cares about what exactly Jacob's body is doing as he dismissively waves his hand. 

"Yeah, but marking..." He guides Jacob over to the topic that he is genuinely curious about and Jacob can feel his eye twitching. 

"Males usually start the marking process..." He begins with a sigh.

Jacob had come off as uninterested before. Even with all of the signs lining up, he didn't have the urge to take that first step. When Edward had suggested being on the bottom, Jacob was just trying to mimic what he thought Edward would like. It was harder to do when all of his previous, natural instincts no longer existed. Instead, he went into observing what Edward was doing. Why was he laying it on so thick? What wasn't he saying? 

"Yes." Edward's eyes urge him to continue.

Jacob's not sure how to feel about him being so eager. Why does it suddenly matter so much that they actually form a bond?

"But my instincts are all messed up because a witch turned me into a freak. My wires are all crossed. I'm...just not what I used to be." He ends graciously and reluctantly waits for further questions. 

"So, would it work if I marked you?" Jacob can see the shift from confusion to curiosity as Edward slowly made his way over, eyes glued to where Jacob's neck and shoulder connect.

"I don't know and we're not going to find out today." He thinks his voice sounds stern, but Edward's still hasn't torn his eyes away from the spot.

"What would happen if I did?" His voice is softer, eyes piercing. He's not really focusing on what Jacob is saying.

"I'd leave you." This seems to snap Edward out of his dazed state, eyes quickly finding Jacob's  intense gaze.

"I meant, you know, when we were both ready. What would happen?" He tries to correct himself, but Jacob's already tired of the conversation.

"The walk sounds more appealing now." 

The walk is not at all appealing. They're about five rooms in, Edward treating the entire thing as if it's a house tour, exploring the spaces and explaining how they obtained certain ancient artifacts. Jacob's back is killing him. Considering his lack of walking besides standing in the kitchen or sitting in front of the TV, he hadn't realized how uncomfortable he would be.

He thinks he's hiding his discomfort well though, zoning back into conversation to nod at whatever random "fun fact" Edward spewed out, but apparently, he's not as good as he thinks he is.

"How about lunch?" Edward asks after completing his explanation of how they'd acquired some old vase.

He doesn't really wait for a response, guiding Jacob out of the room and towards the kitchen.