20

Jacob wants to believe he's just being paranoid. As they quickly made their way back into their bedroom, he wanted to believe that Edward was being overly cautious. However, when he sees green eyes peering at him from the corner, he immediately knows that whatever is about to take place isn't going to be good. She's messing with the room, potentially preparing it while Edward scurries around trying to block any potential entryways. Jacob watches them work in tandem for a little while until he can't anymore. He feels overwhelmed.

"Ed?" He calls out while listening to the man rummage through drawers in the bathroom. 

The room feels like it's shifting and then spinning around him. He takes in a gulp of air and tries to steady himself.

He's not sure if Edward ever answers, he can only hear wind in his ears as the room eventually becomes a blur before it gets dark.

Jacob wakes up on the bed. He doesn't feel like his usual self, but doesn't feel like he's in pain either. He can feel someone running their hand along his side and realizes that it's Edward. He looks distraught. Maybe everything wasn't as good as Jacob thought it was. There are loud footsteps which he realizes belong to Leah and Quil as they pace around the room. 

"How's he doing?" He hears Leah ask from somewhere near the bathroom.

"I think he's waking up." Edward sighs out and then they go back to silence. Leah continues to pace until it turns into a search. She's looking for something, anything. Whatever it is, it's a blur to Jacob. 

Quil eventually comes into focus as he leans down in front of Jacob. 

"Jake?" He's being quiet, and he waits patiently while Jacob comes to the realization that he's not currently in human form. He can't remember for the life of him changing into a giant dog, but when he's aware, he becomes very aware. From the whine that comes out of his mouth instead of actual words, to the way Edward is definitely running his fingers through long hair on the nape of Jacob's neck.

His body eventually begins to turn more human-like. Edward has the forethought to toss a blanket over him and his hand eventually finds itself running through the hair on the top of Jacob's scalp. He really needs to remember to cut it off because it's almost down to the middle of his back at this point. 

"What?" Is his real first word as he tries to push himself up only to be ushered back down by both Edward and Quil. 

"You need to rest," Is the only explanation he receives from Quil.

 "How are you feeling?" Leah pipes up from somewhere behind him. 

"Fine." They are treating him like something bad happened, but he feels fine enough. His joints ache a little, but he's also carrying around a tiny freeloader. He tugs at the duvet, suddenly very much aware of that and the fact that he's naked. Other than that, he's alright.

Jacob turns over to Edward with the hopes of convincing him that he is indeed fine. Unfortunately, it does nothing for his case. He looks down at him, eyes wide and brows furrowed. Edward looks as if his nerves are absolutely shot. 

What happened?

He's been through a lot in a very short amount of time and most of it was horrifying, but he's never seen Edward like this. Even when he ran a fever. His eyes are shifting back and forth like he's reliving something before they find a Jacob again and he's back to tangling his fingers in Jacob's hair. It doesn't hurt, but Jacob can feel the hold he has on it. 

There is about a minute of Jacob trying to piece together what happened. Everyone else is so on edge that they only stop for a moment to ask him how he's doing before going back to surveying the room.