5

Jacob has this weird instinct to yell: "It's not what you think!" 

The sheer amount of anger he can feel in Bella's stare makes him feel like he's done something wrong. His ears still ring with the crash of the mug as the tea slowly spreads over the tiles of the bathroom floor, his eyes never leave Bella's face as her's dart between the two of them. He can hear the question; she doesn't have to ask it. The problem is that he doesn't have an answer. He doesn't know why Edward's currently wrapped around him. He didn't ask him to be here. He doesn't know why it comforted him so much that he hadn't pushed him away. He wants to feel guilty but it's the calmest he's felt since he'd found himself with a giant gash in his stomach.

When Edward dislodges himself from Jacob, Jacob can feel the tension immediately resettle back over his shoulders. He can feel the ache in his side from how he'd been slumped over the toilet. As much as he was sure a fight was brewing, he can feel himself missing it. 

They're already fighting, quite vigorously, hands flailing, he can see Edward's hands on Bella's shoulders trying to calm her, but she just seems to get even more angry. She has tears in her eyes. Though, Jacob can't really hear it. He glances down to access the situation, tugging his shirt so he can see if he's accidentally messed up his stitches again. It's just as the way it'd been before he'd gone tumbling into the bathroom at full speed. He pats down the area, doesn't feel any blood. So, what's wrong? 

There is a pounding in his head now, sounds like a muffled drum. He can feel himself flinching with every hit. His hands finally get the response to touch his forehead. The drums are getting louder. 

"Jacob?" Edward calls over to him even though Bella's still pouting in front of him. 

"What are you going to do next? Hm, are you going to kiss him because 'you think it makes him feel better'?" Bella hisses out and he can hear the exasperation in her words, but he can also hear Jacob groaning low. He's hunched over the toilet and Edward thinks he may be about to lose whatever is left in his stomach, but he's swaying in a way that concerns him. 

"Jake?" He goes over to squat next to Jacob, placing a hand against his forehead to tilt his head only to be startled by Jacob shoving his hand away. 

"Headache."  

Edward tries to ignore how he can hear Bella huffing behind him. 

"He's fine!" Bella squawks out and Edward can feel Jacob flinch.   

"Can I just get some space?" Jacob mutters and Edward can see how exhausted he looks as he stares down at the floor, eyes distant. 

"I can move you back to bed-" Edward starts only to find himself being cut off by a disgruntled Jacob.

"No, I want to take a bath or shower or something."

"You can't be by yourself for that, you can barely keep your eyes open." Edward tries to explain, but he can feel Jacob's patience slipping away from him. 

"What are you going to watch him bathe now?" They hear Bella grumble behind him. 

"Do you want to watch him?" Edward snaps back, head cocked to the side like he already knew the answer. "If he passes out, what will you do? If he starts bleeding, what will you do?" 

It must've been the look in his eyes that made Bella back off. She steps out of the doorframe of the bathroom, but Jacob knows she isn't going far. 

Edward doesn't say anything as he stands to turn on the water. It seems as if he's just playing with the knobs and checking the water to distract himself as Jacob struggles with using one arm to get Edward's oversized shirt over his head. The pants are next to go and Jacob tries not to think so hard about it. Who knows what Edward's seen of him while he was out cold?