1

A/N: Am I going to follow what's canon? Of course not. 
[Warning: slash, mpreg, nonsensical magic, a lil crack ]

It's warm. Too warm. Jacob can feel sweat dripping from his face. It's one of the many things he can sense around him as his mind slowly breaks through the fog that's settled over it. He can smell the damp soil underneath him, feel it in his palms as he slowly attempts to push himself up from where he's been laying pressed to the ground. He can feel the sharp pain in his side, smell the blood, feel the warmth of it on his fingertips as he drops back to the ground with a strangled cry. His voice sounds hoarse to his ears. How long has he been here? 

"Jake?" It's a quiet whisper that he almost misses over the loud beating of his own heart as he remembers running...stumbling...falling. He can only respond with a groan as he attempts to get over the sudden shock of pain. The voice is low, but he can tell that it belongs to a woman. Her hands are cold against his skin as she fruitlessly touches his back like that might heal him. 

He can hear her shuffling around, whispering to someone else, and then she's back with a hand on his shoulder. 

"Jacob?" It's a different voice, deeper. He tries to open his eyes but they clamp shut immediately as the light finally hits them. He can't help but let out another grunt followed by a pained gasp as he tries to move his arms to shield his eyes. They're shaking with the effort like he's been holding his arms up in the air for hours. 

He feels cold hands on his skin. They're colder than the first pair and they seem sure as they flip him over with little to no effort. 

"It's worse than we thought," the voice seems more familiar to him because of how annoyed it sounds, "Go get Carlisle." The hands are roaming over his sides, running over his shoulders, grazing over his legs. Searching. 

It's the last thing Jacob remembers before the fog returns. 

It's warm again; a different type of warmth this time. There is the faint sound of rain, but none of it falls on Jacob. It's mixed with a quiet crackling that his brain identifies as fire. The air is calm; the fog is lifting. He hears himself grunt again and he peels his eyes open to see a flat white surface above him only for it to quickly be replaced by Bella peering down at him. He reads her expression as worried, but he can't focus enough to tell. 

"Edward!" her voice is piercing  to his ears even though he's sure she hadn't even raised it that high. 

"Fuck, Bella," he hears himself hiss, hands sluggishly moving to cover his ears only to fall quickly because of the sheer amount of effort it took to hold them up.

"Sorry...," she responds with a whisper before her eyes run over him again, "Do you remember anything?" She watches him expectantly, eyes darting over him every few seconds before returning to his face.

"Remember?" He can barely get the words out, he feels so out of it.

He's not sure what he's supposed to be remembering. He remembers running through the woods, adrenaline rushing, heart beating in his ears. He's not even sure what he's running from, but he can feel the ache in his legs as he remembers bolting for what felt like forever before tripping and falling hard. 

"I was running...," he stops to think it over for a moment. Why? Why was he in the woods? Why was he running? His father's voice is almost like a whisper in the back of his head. He was supposed to be doing rounds...scoping out the forest. Maybe he was supposed to be looking for something or someone. 

Even if whatever it was tried to come to him in that very moment, it would've immediately left him as Edward sauntered into the room with something in his hands. His face was expressionless, he said nothing to Bella as he sat on the opposite side of Jacob. He made himself comfortable, on what Jacob realizes is a blanket on top of a rug, and starts pulling out different items from a box: bandages, gauze, alcohol, etc.. 

The items were like a reminder that something had happened to him, something had wounded him. As Edward unceremoniously lifted a shirt, that definitely didn't belong to Jacob, up to his chest he finally got to see how bad it was. Edward was quick in tugging off the bandage, seeming to ignore the hisses of discomfort from Jacob as he worked to get to what was underneath. The wound quickly revealed itself, deep claw marks running from his navel to the top of his ribs, the deepest part of the gash being over his stomach and fading as it got further up his body. 

"Shit," It's out of his mouth before he can really process it, "I can't feel anything."

Maybe Edward can hear the panic in his voice, because he finally decides that he feels like talking, albeit, with a clenched jaw.

"Carlisle numbed this part of your body...only the surface." And that was it, quick and to the point. Then, he's back to working on cleaning the wound effectively and reapplying the gauze and bandage, eyes never looking up from his task. 

"I can't remember," he hears himself mutter quietly his eyes find the fire like the answers are in the flames. "I was running...I fell..."

Something dark flashes before his eyes, like a vivid memory and it almost genuinely startles him. He's in the woods, it's wet...maybe it's raining, he's running, a shadow is following him...he's scared.

His eyes find the bandage again. A shadow doesn't put a gaping wound in your stomach, Jake.

"Carlisle is looking into it." Another blunt statement from Edward as he packs the box that Jacob can now discern as a first aid kit, focused only on it. 

He looks around only to find Bella retreating, eyes on Edward and then on Jacob. She catches Jacob's eyes only for a moment and he's sure there is a message there but he's back to looking at Edward placing each unused item back into its place.

"You shouldn't have been out in the forest." 

Maybe Bella could sense something that Jacob couldn't, but she truly was a traitor for leaving him to deal with a brooding Edward. 

"I was following orders," he huffed out, trying to sound exasperated but instead sounding winded, "Don't remember what orders..." 

He reaches up to touch his forehead only to feel Edward smack his hand away. 

"You cracked your head open like an egg. Let it be." he huffs out as an answer to Jacob's annoyed yet questioning stare. Then, he's up and clutching his first aid kit to his side as he heads out of Jacob's line of sight. 

"Carlisle said that it's a miracle the baby survived." Edward calls over his shoulder. It almost sounds like an afterthought, but Jacob knows better as he listens to Edward's silence. He's waiting for something, but whatever it is won't come 'til later as Jacob's eyes become so heavy, he can no longer keep them open. His head swims, but he can still feel the dread and fear settle over him as the shadow re-enters his thoughts. 

Just one thought breaks through the fog:

What baby?