2| Groove

After work, I went to my apartment and rested for an hour, then got ready for the club. I waited for Kayla and looked one more time in the mirror.

I wore my black spaghetti strap dress that reached my mid-thighs and a maroon jacket with the same color ankle heels. I applied a little makeup on my face and put on cherry color lipstick. The brown eyeliner I put on popped my green eyes and parted my red wavy hair from the middle, keeping them open.

I left my apartment when Kayla texted me and went to her car.

"You look hot." She whistled, giving me a once-over. I laughed and looked at her silk pink, long V-neck dress.

"So do you." She giggled and drove her car.

We sat silently in the car, and only the radio played some songs. I looked outside the window and watched the buildings passing by.

It was my dream to come to New York and work as a journalist. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and used to live there with my parents. My mom was against me pursuing journalism and thought I should find a husband and get married, rather than do a job.

She's an old soul.

Coming out of my thoughts, I frowned when I noticed the area. "Dude..." I turned my head towards Kayla. "Downtown?"

"Yup." She grinned at me mischievously. "It's going to be fun!" she squealed in her seat.

"But that place is dangerous!" I glared. "Especially for two lonely girls. Do you want us to get killed or something?"

"I know a guy there and it's going to be safe. Relax, I'll bring you home in one piece." She gave me a reassuring look and waggled her brows. "Maybe you'll find a criminal story there, if not a guy." She sang.

I plopped back on the seat and turned my head towards the window. That's a good idea, and I may get a story to write and get promoted, but the thing is, it would require me to be alive to write it.

My eyes wandered around the area as the car stopped in front of the club. I saw a few bikers around the corner and people smoking near the entrance. I didn't have to guess what they were smoking.

What the hell are we doing here?!

"I don't think it's a good idea to go inside," I grunted as I watched the bikers giving us a creepy smile.

To make it clear, I was not scared of them. I took self-defense classes and I know where a man's weakness lies.

Kayla ignored me and got out of the car. I sighed and followed her toward the line. I could hear the music blaring as we stood in line. The club name 'Soul Groove' was lightened with colorful neon lights, and the 'L' of the soul was not even working. After a few minutes, we showed our IDs to the angry-looking bouncer and went inside.

As I stepped inside, ear-preaching music welcomed us. The light was dim and you couldn't see the faces clearly, only can make out silhouettes. There were multicolored flashing lights on the dance floor, but they were bright enough. The place was crowded.

I followed Kayla toward the bar. Dancing sweaty bodies pressed and rubbed against me, making me gag internally. I scrunched my nose and tried to move faster. I could feel their eyes on me as I passed by.

"Hi, Michael!" She greeted the bartender with an enormous smile.

The bartender, Michael, perked up and beamed when he noticed Kayla.

"Hey, pretty girl." He said, making Kayla giggle. "Give me a minute."

He resumed making the drink for the people who were already there. I studied him and had to admit; that the guy was sexy. He had shoulder-length dark hair and biceps that every girl dies to touch. He was tall and bulky.