19| Geek

Making sure not to ruin the restriction tapes, I entered his apartment and locked the door behind me.

The blinders on the windows were down. Even so, the morning sunlight illuminated the apartment. His living room was neat and not even a thing was out of place. The walls were painted blue with a darker combination of furniture. Paintings of flowers, sceneries, and mythical creators on the walls, and the shelves were filled with books.

“That’s a lot of books,” I observed the apartment. “Didn’t imagine you to be a geek.” I snorted as I picked a book from the table.

Good thing I wore gloves so I won’t be leaving any fingers prints.

“Is it a problem if I turned out to be a nerd?” He asked, and I raised my brow at him.

“No... You can be whatever you want. I’m just...” I shrugged. “Shocked.”

He gazed at me and something about it told me he was bothered, but by what... I didn’t know.

I scrutinized the book in my hand and the others on the table and shelves.

“All the books are related to mythology,” I mumbled, running my fingers through the firebird made over it.

“Guess I’m into myths.” He murmured.

“You know...” I remembered the first time I met him. “You called me Phoenix when we first met.”

“Why?” He frowned, and I gave him a shrug, putting the book back in its place.

“I have no idea.”

“Maybe because you’re a redhead?”

“You also said that I looked familiar.” I chuckled. “It was a lame pickup line, but it got me hooked.”

“Then what happened?”

I told him about our first interaction as I looked around the apartment. There was a bedroom with a Queen size bed and I ran through all the possible things I could have done on it with him, but I shook my head and ignored my horny thoughts.

I went to the cabinets and his walk-in closets and searched them for anything that I could use, but found nothing. Though I got a glimpse of how he dressed. Since I met him and he became a ghost, he’s always been in the same clothes, but no doubt the dude got great fashion sense.

The kitchen was empty as well. There weren’t many things there. It was like a normal guy’s house, but there were no clues about his family or anything.

I came back to the living room and saw him staring at a painting placed on one shelf on the wall. Standing beside him, I tilted my head and scrutinized it.

It was a picture of a Phoenix emerging from the water.

“This painting is giving me a weird feeling.” He mumbled.

“In what sense?”

“I don’t know...” He rubbed his chin as his calculated eyes darted over the painting and the seriousness on his face.