48| Past

"I get the entire story of you pretending to be my fiancée and getting inside the castle... but what nagging me is why you wanted to solve my case? My father hired Agents to do that."

"Curiosity," I mumbled, taking a sip of my coffee and avoiding both brothers' eyes.

"You did all that just..." Finlay's brows dipped in confusion. "... Because you were curious?"

"That and... I wanted to repay you."

"For what?" He darted his eyes at his brother, who shrugged and then back at mine.

"Back when we were kids, you saved my life." I looked straight into his curious-filled blue eyes. "The girl drowning in the lake."

"You are Phoenix?" His eyes widened while Neil frowned at me.

I knew Neil might think that I was repeating his story, but I had proof. I picked up my purse and took out the paper. When I visited my house yesterday, I looked into my old stuff and found a drawing.

A drawing of a redhead girl emerging from the water and a little boy standing beside the lake.

I didn't remember this drawing, but from one look, I knew who made it. I unfolded the paper and showed it to the brothers. Finlay looked at it in disbelief while Neil stared at it in confusion.

"This is my drawing..." Finlay mumbled, examining it. "And I gave it to..." He trailed off, gaping at me.

"When I found out you were the guy who saved my life, I thought of returning the favor." It was my lame attempt to justify why I did it because I couldn't tell him it was because I used to see his soul.

"Wait... When ah told ye this story..." Neil whispered after processing it. "Ah waz tellin' ye yer own story?"

"Pretty much." I chuckled. "And a little extra." His eyes widened at that and Finlay snapped his head towards him.

"What exactly did you tell her, Neil?" Finlay asked in a low growl.

"Ah told her ye fell in love widh 'er an' planned on marrying her." Neil gave him a sheepish smile.

"Can't you keep anything in that stupid stomach of yours?" Finlay scolded.

"How waz ah supposed to ken she waz the girl?" Neil defended.

"Why were you even telling my pretended fiancee about the girl I was in love with?"

"She asked meh too?!"

Chuckling, I watched the two brothers bickering about me like I wasn't sitting in front of them. Finlay's phone rang cutting them off, and he excused himself saying it was from work, and walked out of the cafe.

"Ah got scolded because of ye." Neil huffed like a little kid and I couldn't help but laugh.

"You brought this on yourself," I smirked.

"Ye could hae told meh it waz ye."

"I wanted to hear his side." He rolled his eyes and looked at his brother.

"That's the only reason ye wanted to do it?"

"Uh..." I dropped my head to my side.

"Ah think there's something else..." He looked dead in my eyes. "Ah feel ye'er hidin' somethin'." I gulped and leaned back in my seat.

"You're just imagining." I sat in awkward silence while he scrutinized me with his brown gaze. "What happened to Blair and Angus?" I asked, changing the topic.

"Both of 'em got life imprisonment." He answered, and I nodded my head.

"And the business?" I glimpsed at Finlay as he paced the footpath talking with someone on the phone. "Finlay got it?"