6| Agent Conner

I leaned against Finlay's room as I waited for Conner and Dr. Robert to finish their chat.

The nurse came out of Finlay's room; she was the same one that burst me. I gave her a sheepish smile, and she glared at me in return, then left. I scratched my head in shame.

Awkward.

I stood straight when I saw Conner and Dr. Robert shaking hands and coming toward us. Conner gave me a lopsided grin, then went to the two guys, who were still wearing glasses and whispered something to them.

"You know him?" I turned my head towards Paige. "The Agent?" She referred to Conner.

"We have met a few times before." I shrugged.

"Then ask him what's going on." She gave me a look, and I understood her point.

She wants me to make Conner spill his tea.

And I can do that.

"Hi, Amber. Long time no see." Conner greeted with his charming smile, showing off his dimples.

The sight of them reminded me of Finlay's smile, but I shook my head to clear the image.

"Good luck," Paige muttered behind me and went to Dr. Robert.

"Hello, Agent Conner. It's nice to see you again." I plastered a smile on my face.

"Nice to see me?" He raised his brows in amusement. "Really?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" I batted my eyelashes at him. He opened his mouth, but I cut him off. "What are you doing here anyway? Shouldn't you be out there solving federal cases?"

"Shouldn't you be out there writing stories?" He retorted.

"I am here doing my job," I answered, adjusting my collar. Paige coughed behind me. "As her assistant," I added.

"You and your leader need to get going now." He smirked.

"Why?" I asked, folding my arms.

"You'll know about it sooner." He turned around, but I put my hand on his arm, stopping him.

"What's with those guys?" I gestured curiously toward the two guys standing outside Finlay's room.

"They're bodyguards." He said in a duh tone.

"You're an agent and you need bodyguards? Can't you take care of yourself?" I mocked.

"I didn't say they were for me." My brows knitted in confusion as I glanced at the guards.

"They are here for Finlay," I said, joining the dots. "But why does a half-dead guy need bodyguards?"

"To protect his half-alive body." I opened my mouth to ask more questions that were spinning in my head but was stopped by Conner. "It's time to escort you and your friend out."

"We're here to do our job and you can't stop us." Paige intervened.

"Actually, I can." He took an envelope out of his jacket and gave it to her. "This case is now confidential, and no media is allowed to present it until further notice." My brows snapped together in confusion.

Confidential?

Maybe I'm right about Miss Blondie getting kidnapped.

He gestured towards the elevator. Paige sighed, and we walked together to the elevator, with Conner trailing behind.

"You've got to try harder to get things out of him," Paige muttered.

"He isn't an easy guy," I whispered back. As the elevator door closed, I turned my head towards Conner. "Finlay wasn't the only one in the car," I said and raised my brows at him.