4| Accident

Mr. Scottish aka Finlay Reed.

Rubbing my eyes, I gawked at the screen in disbelief. It was like lightning struck me.

"AMBER?!" Kayla's voice snapped me out.

"What?" I said in a low voice, still staring at the screen.

"I've been calling your name for hours!" she exaggerated. "Where are you?!" I picked up my phone again.

"I saw the news..."

"So...?"

"I know that guy." I gulped.

"You do?!" I winced and pulled my phone away when she screamed in my ear.

"Yeah- I mean no- kind of..."

She sighed. "I'm already having a headache. Don't make it worse, darling."

"I mean, I don't know him personally, but I saw him last night at the club when I went to the restroom," I explained.

"And...?" she asked anxiously, but I kept my mouth shut.

"That's it."

"You want me to believe that? You came back from the restroom looking hella red, even redder than your hair, so something must have happened."

"Very funny," I mumbled. "I'm serious. Nothing happened."

"If you say so." She said, sounding suspicious. "What are you going to do now?"

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You found your story..." she trailed off, and after a second, my mind bulb lit up.

"Holy f**king shit!" I exclaimed, jumping up from my couch. "I found my story!"

"Don't sound so enthusiastic, Amber. The guy is on his deathbed. Have some humanity." She murmured.

"Of course, I'm not happy that he got in an accident," I said, rolling my eyes. "I am just happy that I found my story."

I was kind of sad about it, even though he was an a**hole, but that didn't mean I wanted him dead.

"I'm going to call Mr. Hudson now," I said.

"Good luck."

"Bye." I hung up and called my uncle immediately.

"Hello-" As soon as he picked it up, I started rambling.

"I found the perfect story for my article. There was this accident last night, and the guy is severely injured and is in ICU- I think- it was a hit and run, if you let me, I can investigate it and will definitely find who was behind it, and then you'll promote me as you promised an-"

"Amber." He said calmly.

"Yes?" I slammed my lips, listening to him.

"Paige is already on it." He informed.

"What?! But I just saw it on the news and... this is not fair!" I whined.

"The accident happened last night. You're late, besides she was assigned to it."

"Can't I work with her? Be her assistant, servant, sidekick, anything, but I don't want to write about love again!"

"You sound desperate, Miss Katz." I could hear the amusement in his voice.

"Just do anything, but I want to work on this, please," I begged. "You're the Chief Editor. Move your wand and do something."

"I'm not a fairy." He said deadpan.