Chapter 16: That Changes Things

********************************************

Chapter 16: That Changes Things

Lianna POV

It was dark, darker than dark and the silence was deafening. The only sound came from the faint ruffle of the leaves on the tall oak trees. I was in the forest again and I was alone, painfully alone. Yet I was not as alone as I had thought.

From the tree line I heard cries for help, desperate and frightened cries, and I rushed across the clearing. A flash of a blond man who brutally attacked a red haired woman could be viewed in the now pale moonlight, but their faces eluded me. When I approached, they vanished and left a cold, ominous and desperate feeling behind. It smothered me and left me with an agonized sensation that coursed through me.

Suddenly I felt the pain of the innocent that I had failed to protect, as the life was ripped from it. That pain and loss left me in tears. I was overcome with a deep sadness, one I never thought possible.

A blinding light enveloped me and a tall white haired man strode up to me confidently. But I was not afraid, quite the contrary. I welcomed him and the peaceful feeling he resonated burned into my being, like it had resided there my entire life.

“It’s almost time for you to awaken.” The wise voice spoke to me in words that meant more than I understood.

“Awaken? What do you mean awaken?” I questioned through the haze that clouded my mind.

“You will see. As soon as you know, you will understand.” He stated before he disappeared into the light.

Once again, darkness surrounded me. Fear griped me as I was surrounded on all sides by ominous blue eyes and menacing dark ones. I wanted to have found my way out, but the darkness and pain were far too heavy for me to have escaped. I felt myself struggle as I faded into the blackness.

My heart raced and my palms were sweaty. My eyes darted around the room. It was dawn, very near sunrise and the only sound besides my own heart, was the soft thrum of the heart that beat next to me. I curled into his bare chest and was hit by calm and soothing feelings. Serenity washed over me as he pushed it on me. He forever protected and soothed me.

I lay for a moment, wrapped in his warm arms before I attempted to get out of bed and away from the worry that would soon follow the discovery of yet another nightmare. He was too concerned about me, almost to the point of annoyance. But I couldn’t have faulted his love and concern for me. I shuffled forward and slowly placed my feet on the floor, but was held back as soon as I began to stand.

“Don’t get up. Don’t leave me.” His sexy voice pleaded. His eyes were closed and a serene appearance was on his face.

“I have to use the bathroom Ez, unless you want me to wet the bed.” I mused and chuckled to myself, remembered a time when I had actually done that. I was 8 and drank far too much before bed, but I was not ashamed of it. Shit happens.

“You don’t have to pee Lia. You had a bad dream and you don’t have to hide it from me.” Ezra replied in an easy tone while he stared deep into my eyes. His molten silver ones burned with love and acceptance.

“It wasn’t all bad, more strange than bad.” I admitted. I had gotten the feeling there was much more I hadn’t figured out. More that would soon have been revealed to me, whether I understood it or not.

“If you don’t want to talk about it beautiful, we can discuss something else.” He announced in an appeasing way. He tried very hard to have accommodated my every whim, at his own expense at times.

“Tell me about the rules then.” I suggested as I snuggled back into bed next to him. I figured I’d have used his weakness for giving me what I wanted against him.