Chapter 1 (ir): Seren-ila, the best place

This is a story that happened in the future.

How many years in the future? Long enough that most of the things of our time have been forgotten by most people. But by the end of this story, some of those things will have been remembered.

The people of Seren-ila, the land where this story begins, think that theirs is the best place that there ever could be. Maybe they are right. But even in the best of all places, not everyone can be happy all the time.

***

Liana lived in Seren-ila. She loved Seren-ila. She loved its Great Lake, with its calm, blue water. She swam there most days, as most days were warm enough to swim. At least, for Liana they were. Her friend Herago didn't swim – couldn't swim, and had never managed to learn. But he knew a lot about other things, like numbers, and the way to make things, and how people thought about the world.

This story begins with Liana and Herago sitting on a patch of grass in the Seren-ila Middle Meadow, another place Liana loved. The sun has set over the mountain. The sky is darkening, but the pair sit in a pool of light from herb lamps glowing gently on their stands. There is light also from the moon, which is very nearly full. Liana's red hair seems brighter than usual. Herago turns to Liana. She sees the reflection of the lamps in his glasses. She smiles. Around them wild flowers cast long shadows. Liana looks hard at some of the flowers...

***

'What are those flowers called?' Liana asked.

'Which flowers?'

'The ones with the long neck, brown face and pink hair.'

Herago laughed. 'Flowers don't have hair.'

'Those ones do,' Liana said. 'They look a bit like me, don't you think? I'm going to call them "The Very Uncommon Liana Hairy-Nettle".'

Herago looked at where she was pointing, and laughed again. 'It's not a nettle. Anyway, your hair is more red, but I see what you mean. It does look a bit like you.'

'Maybe I'll colour my hair to look like that. People will notice me.'

'They notice you already, Liana. No need to worry about that. Which is my flower, then?'

'Sorry, there isn't one for you. I can't see any wearing glasses.'

'Well, I'll have those ones, there.' Herago pointed at a mass of small red flowers.

'They look nothing like you,' Liana said.

'I know, but you can chop the leaves up and put them in your food. They taste delicious.'

'We can't chop Herago up and put him in food, though. Even if he would be delicious. Still, those can be yours, Herago. We'll call them Herago Herbs.' Liana gestured at the clump.

'Thank you,' Herago said. There was a silence. 'We should get back soon.'

The lights were fading. In a while Herago would go back to his father, Jaremo, and his sister Silmoa. Liana would return to where she and her mother, Trentaya, slept. Between the two of them, Liana and Herago, they had one father and one mother. Actually, Liana also had a father, but more of him later. And, of course, Herago had a mother, but he didn't see much of her.

Liana leaned back and looked up at the black velvet sky filled with bright, bright pinpricks of light. Where did that light come from? From far far away. Other worlds. How many other worlds were there?

Liana started to count: 'Ir, deg, mek, que, fay, nay, ept, tag...'

'What are you counting?' Herago asked.