Chapter 59 (quetwi-gell): Elbissopmi

Liana's stomach turned somersaults as she walked up to the big stage, Herago beside her carrying his silver package. Feeling like this, she wouldn't be able to get a word out. She concentrated on the two sets of steps, breathing deeply as she put one foot in front of the other. Under her breath, she counted the steps in Seren numbers. Two lots of dak steps...Twil-fay, twil-nay, twil-ept, twil-tag. And she was at the top.

The counting helped. By the time she reached the stage, the Seren words had calmed her, and her stomach was almost normal. She was ready. She glanced at Herago. He was ready too. She looked out at the faces of the people in the hall, and saw the sea of smiles. Normally, this would have been an encouragement, but these identical stick-on smiles and masks made her more nervous. Above the masks, the eyes were blank and joyless.

'I see that this is a late entry to the Festival, Great Tyro,' Sleech announced, jolting Liana out of her thoughtfulness. 'It is in the category of "cultural innovations". I believe that Himester Pritch included this invention – or these inventions – just today. Are you sure this is right, Pritch?'

Pritch moved his finger towards his ear, but managed to divert it to scratch the top of his head. 'Yes, I think it will be very interesting Himester Sleech,' he shouted.

'Very well,' said Tyro, grumpily. 'I hope it's not another one of these idea stealers. We've seen far too many of them already.'

'Indeed,' said Sleech. 'Well, these people call themselves ... Liana and Herago?' Pritch had wanted them to use their Barty names, but Liana had insisted that the Impossibles should be shown to the people under their real names.

'Hmm,' continued Sleech. 'I assume these are special inventor-names. Very well. Pritch says that they have some impressive inventions to show. We will see about that. They are going to show some... Impossibles. Impossibles? What on earth does that mean?'

'You will soon see,' said Liana. She pushed down hard on the sickly feeling that was rising again from her stomach.

Sleech looked at her with undisguised distaste.

'Well, get on with it,' said Tyro. 'I'm getting bored here. I haven't punished anyone for several minutes.'

'Very well,' Sleech said. 'These Hiana and Lerago people...'

Herago whispered to Liana.

'My partner points out that we are Liana and Herago, not Hiana and Lerago,' Liana said.

'Very well, Li-'

Liana interrupted: 'Or you can say Herago and Liana, if you like.'

Sleech opened his mouth to speak, but Liana started up again. As she spoke the feeling of sickness started to subside.

'But not Liago and Herana,' she said, 'or Heraga and Liano,' said Liana 'and certainly not Gorilla and Lie-knower either. And we'll be very careful not to call you Slyro and Teech.' Liana smiled. She was beginning to forget her sickness.

Liana looked at Tyro and Sleech. They were both open mouthed. They had never heard anyone talk to them like this before. Liana could hear small, suppressed laughter in the hall.

'WHATEVER YOUR NAMES ARE,' Tyro shouted, 'get on with showing us your stolen invention ... I mean, your invention, whatever it is.'

'Very well,' said Liana. 'Let me explain how this will work. My partner here will show you something ... impossible.' The little hesitation before the word 'impossible' was something that Liana hadn't planned, but she could feel that it made the people in the audience suddenly pay closer attention. She was beginning to sense how they felt, and her words were having an effect. Liana continued: 'As Herago performs the Impossible ...' Liana paused again, giving new meaning to her words, 'I will describe what he is doing.'