Chapter 10 (dak): Forty Days

Pritch stood in front of Sleech in the middle of the big, silver-walled room. Everything here looked magnificent, and it made Pritch nervous. He was also worried. That morning, Pring had told him that he should be careful if he comes across Sleech, though she wouldn't say exactly why. That was one of the problems of living with someone who worked on thought-scanners. Sometimes they found out things about you that they weren't allowed to say. Pritch was sure he hadn't had any bad thoughts about Pring, but maybe he'd thought something he shouldn't have about Sleech, though he had tried very hard not to.

Sleech looked hard at Pritch, wondering if he was now seeing Sleech as he had in his dream. He didn't care if he did. A middle ranking person like Pritch should always have a certain amount of respect and a good deal of fear when faced with a High Master like Sleech. But Pritch annoyed Sleech. If only the man wouldn't keep fidgeting, he thought. Pritch was like a worried insect, twitching and rubbing his hands together constantly. It was most irritating, but for the moment Sleech would have to put up with it.

Pritch should have been punished for his disrespectful dreams, Sleech thought, but such a punishment would not be possible – for the time being. His skills were needed, if Tyro's orders were to be carried out, and punishment might deprive him of those skills. Pritch was not important or powerful, and it annoyed Sleech that he had to speak to him at all, especially after seeing those dreams. But apparently Pritch was very, very clever. That was what the reports said, though it was hard to believe right now. Cleverer than those people who had been in charge of various tasks before, whom Sleech had had to dispose of. Pritch was the only remaining person who might be able to build a machine that could cross the Grabble Mountains. And not only cross the mountains, but carry people – fighters – on that journey.

'Pritch, let me tell you what will happen. You will build a machine that will cross the Grabble mountains. On the appointed day, the flying machine must be ready. And not only must it be ready, it must be working. It must be capable of carrying our... people across those treacherous mountains to find the unfortunate people trapped on the other side...'

Pritch gulped. 'Yes, High Master Sleech. I understand what you are asking. I'm just not sure that we can do it in that...'

'Not sure?!!' Sleech roared.' By the time you leave this room, you will need to be very sure, Pritch. Because if you cannot be sure that you can do your job, then you can be very sure that you can do no job at all.'

Yes, Pritch thought. Friends of his had been through this. There had been a series of people who took on this job, and very quickly had to admit that they couldn't find a way to get a flying machine through the smoke. He hadn't seen those friends lately.

'I'm very sorry, High Master...' Pritch rubbed his hands together in that irritating way.

'I don't care about how sorry you are. What I want you to tell me is that the flying machine will be ready and working on the appointed day. If you do not tell me that, your future after you leave this room will be rather unhappy. Unhappy, but at least rather short. Do you understand that?'

'Oh yes, High Master. I certainly do.' Pritch gave a little laugh, which was something that Sleech failed utterly to understand, and which made him even more irritable.

'But not only must you tell me that this can be done. It must happen! In just four weeks, forty days, well in advance of the joyous birthday of our great leader, I expect to see a fully working flying machine in the central square of Tyropolis. And this machine, big enough to carry a good number of people, and various items of equipment, must cross the Grabble Mountains and return, having...' Sleech hesitated, and it seemed to Pritch that there was something he was avoiding saying, '...having done all that it needed to do. Pritch, I can tell you that we believe there are people, human beings of some sort on the other side of those mountains. They have been trapped there for hundreds of years. Great Tyro, in his wisdom and beneficence, has decided to bring them the benefits of our civilisation. Now, are you going to tell me that this is not possible?'