Chapter 50 (quetwi-deg): Another Barty

The next day, Silmoa seemed a little calmer. Once or twice, Liana saw her smile. Liana was relieved, but she had other things to think about.

The work in the making place was getting harder. The odd crescent objects that they were making had to be made more quickly, and the work was causing pains in all of Liana's body. The others working alongside her were also feeling that pain, Liana could tell. But if they slowed down they received a shock. Not from Silmoa now, but from a Barty.

Workers in the making place did get a break, but it was not very long. Dak minutes. Ten, in Barty numbers, during which time they could sit down, and were given some grey bread with a disgusting taste, and cold water to drink. Then back to the line of crescents, shooting along in front of her like strange animals.

But today, Liana didn't have to return to the line. She was told to go to another place, where the fully made objects were put into boxes. Quetwi-deg in every box, but she was not allowed to count in Seren numbers, so had to use the Barty number – fifty. Liana still didn't understand what these things were, only that they were going to be sent to Bartyronis. Perhaps they were some sort of decoration that the Bartys wore. But why did they need so many of them, all at the same time?

Could she use her new position to send a message to people in Bartyronis? She thought about putting a note in one of the boxes, but didn't know what she would say. Were they happy with the way things were? It was hard to tell. But they were still people. Weren't they? Like the people of Seren-ila. There must be some good ones among them. This Pritch, who was helping Selentaya and Piacho – he was a good person. But how do good people make a world that is so bad? Liana couldn't work it out. Maybe, if she ever got to talk to Piacho again, she would ask him.

Liana saw Silmoa again at the dormitory. She still looked unhappy. But Liana couldn't think about that now. She needed to get back to dreaming.

Liana put her head down on the sawdust pillow. It was not easy to get comfortable. But she was tired. So tired. It didn't take long for sleep to overcome her.

Rather than flying through Seren-ila, this time Liana arrived directly outside the House of the Green Jewel. Herago wasn't there, but two white hares were hopping about outside. Liana looked at the hares and smiled. She remembered how, in Seren-ila, natural things surrounded you, and made you feel part of a world which was full of many beautiful things. In the new world run by the Bartys, natural things – trees, grass, animals – had to be kept away. There was something not right about animals, as far as Bartys were concerned. Except that they ate them, which was something Seren-ilians did not do. Something wrong, also, with all sorts of natural things – plants and mountains and even the sky. It felt like the Bartys would really like everything to be covered with flat metal, or rocks that had been cut into ugly shapes. But even those really came from natural stuff. Did they not understand that?

Liana followed the hares with her eyes as they ran towards the meadow. She wondered if Herago would appear again. He had been unhappy last time she saw him. Maybe he would give up on this idea. He couldn't do that! Liana couldn't do anything without him. She was thinking what she would do if he didn't appear. Would she be able to get a message to him? Maybe Pritch could help. But would she see him again? Or Piacho and Selentaya? Maybe the whole dreaming thing was over.

As the hares disappeared in the distance, Liana turned back towards the house. She jumped. There was somebody there. It was Herago. He had come. That was a relief.

'Well, are we going in?' asked Herago. 'There's not much time, you know.' He didn't seem angry now. Just a bit impatient. Which made Liana also feel impatient.

'Yes. Let's see if the others are here.' They both went inside.

As they walked in, Liana saw Selentaya, Piacho and Pritch. Selentaya and Piacho were wearing trowster robes, which was a bit strange to Liana, as Piacho hadn't worn the robes for many years - not since ... she couldn't remember. But they both looked magnificent. Pritch was wearing ordinary Barty garb, but Liana noticed that at various points, on his shoulders, his wrists and his chest, there were little patterns that looked like Seren designs.