Chapter 2 (deg): Bartyronis. The weekly report

The bat flew across the mountain, and into a world of tall buildings. It circled around the tallest of the buildings – Tyro's palace. If it had looked inside, it would have seen two people in the highest, most magnificent of its rooms.

Tyro's throne was as shiny and hard as the palace walls. Even Tyro himself seemed hard and shiny to Sleech, looking up at his master's helmet, with its three spikes, the middle spike pointing at the high ceiling. Looking at his silver suit, studded with bright jewels. Looking at the all-powerful ruler of Bartyronis.

Sleech wore a dark robe. His teeth were bared in what he hoped was a smile. But he was not happy. He wanted to get this business over and leave.

'Your Mightiness,' said Sleech, 'it gives me the greatest pleasure to report that you are now the most powerful individual that ever lived on this planet.'

Sleech hoped his master would be satisfied with this. It was entirely true, if not the whole story. Sleech backed away to leave. He wouldn't stay talking with Tyro for longer than necessary. Tyro was not somebody who liked details. The rest could wait. Better to bring it up when Tyro was otherwise distracted.

But before Sleech could reach the door, Tyro spoke. His heart sank.

'Yes, it's quite an achievement isn't it?' Tyro said. 'My grandfather would be proud. A great man.'

Tyro's large chin jutted towards Sleech, like an arrow pointing at a small, round balloon. No escape now. Sleech took a step towards Tyro, choosing his words with care.

'He was indeed a very, very great man, Your Excellency. He conquered half the world.'

'Yes, conquering half the world is quite a difficult thing to do, wouldn't you say?'

'Extremely difficult,' said Sleech. 'Your grandfather was incredibly courageous.'

'Not just courageous,' said Tyro. 'He was also very... very – what's that word?' Tyro didn't wait for a reply. 'He was very dextrous.'

'Dextrous?' said Sleech.

'Yes. Dextrous. Don't you know what that means?

'Oh, yes indeed. Good with his hands.'

'Good? He was amazing! A-ma-zing! My father told me that grandpa could hold up a glass of water, turn it upside down, then catch all the water in the glass – before it hit the ground!'

'That is indeed, extremely difficult,' agreed Sleech, 'Now, Your Highness, I must...'

'Yes, but not as difficult as what I've done. My father would be very proud.'

'I am sure your father would be very proud indeed, Your Greatness.'

'Yes,' Tyro said, 'my father achieved more than anybody before him...'

'He was a great conqueror,' said Sleech. He shuddered, remembering of some of that conquering.

'More than that,' replied Tyro. 'He could tie his own shoelaces at the age of two...'

'Yes, Your Highness. That is, indeed, incredible.'

'That's not incredible, Sleech. I bet there are loads of two-year-olds who can tie their shoelaces. But my father, the Great Tyranno Tyrannosus the Second, could do it with his eyes closed, wearing silver-plated gloves and standing upside down in a swimming pool.'

'Your father was, indeed, mighty, ingenious and dextrous.' Sleech said. 'Now, Your Mightiness, I must...'

'But he never managed to do what I did.'