Chapter 57 (quetwi-sag): Tyropolis

Pring was surprised by how much equipment Herago had. So was Liana when she saw it – a table that folded up, cups, balls, big pieces of paper and even a small cage from which strange sounds emerged. Liana knew what most of these things were for – except the cage. When Pring asked why all this was needed, Herago just said 'You'll see!'.

The stuff was folded and crammed into the bag that Pring had brought for the Grabbler clothes. She worried that they might be stopped if they had too much stuff. It was never a good idea to have an interesting looking package in Tyropolis – always better to look as plain and boring as possible on the street.

To save space in the bag, Liana and Herago wore the Barty clothes Pring brought with her over their Grabbler clothes. It was uncomfortable and hot. Pring had also brought with her some masks that went right over their heads. She insisted that the pair put them on. They didn't have time to even look at them.

It was early, and most people were still in bed. The streets were fairly empty, but there were some walking patrols of Guardians around, and a few flying patrols overhead. Before long the group were stopped by one of the walking patrols.

'Who are you, and where are you going?' said the tall, male Guardian, his fingers touching the weapon at his side. They were at the corner of a very tall building, and Liana had to use a lot of self-control to stop herself looking up at it in wonder.

'I am Upper Pring,' Pring told him. 'These are the youngest participants in the Festival of Happiness and Invention. I am taking them to visit Ormester Pritch, who will decide whether their invention should be viewed.'

At the mention of 'Ormester Pritch', the Guardian looked impressed. Ormesters were pretty important.

'I see,' said the Guardian. 'Well, Upper Pring, I won't keep you from your vital work. We are all looking forward to the Festival. Especially the happiness. I see your young people are already wearing their happy faces. I am hoping that my smile will come soon.'

Liana tried to think what this might mean. It was just as well that she was wearing a mask, as her look of astonishment would have been suspicious. What did he mean about a smile? It was true that the man didn't seem to have much of a smile. Was he saying that he would have to practise smiling? Was smiling so difficult in Bartyronis that people had to be trained in it?

Then the Guardian turned to Liana. She suddenly felt hot and sweaty in her two sets of clothes.

'So, you are an inventor,' said the Guardian. 'What have you invented?'

Pring intervened. Clearly, she didn't want Liana to reply, as her speech would be in the sing-song voice of a Grabbler, very different from the way in which Bartys spoke.

'Guardian,' said Pring, 'we must wait for the Festival to find the answer to such questions. It will be a wonderful event.'

'Of course, Upper Pring,' said the Guardian. There was a hint of suspicion in his voice now, and he seemed to be looking at Liana more carefully than before. He seemed fascinated by her hair, which spilled out from behind her mask. 'But surely the girl can give a hint of what she and her friend will show.' Then the Guardian looked directly at Liana. 'What is your name?' he said, sharply.

Everyone was now looking at Liana. Herago moved close to Liana. They were still wearing the wrist-flyers, and if necessary they could fly away. But then Pring would be left standing with a Guardian. What would happen to her?

'I am Mipper Ling,' Liana said, quickly. 'I will present a cultural invention with my associate Mipper Heng. We are not at liberty to reveal any more than that, Guardian.'

Liana's mask wobbled as her mouth opened wide to speak. She spoke in a perfect Barty accent. Her voice was harsh, without a hint of Grabbler sing-song, and it seemed to convey a great deal of confidence and authority. The Guardian looked impressed.

But then he turned to Herago.

'And you, Mipper Heng,' the Guardian said, 'I suppose, you are the real inventor here. The females must be your helpers.'

There was a pause. A look of panic came to Pring's face, but the Guardian didn't notice. He was looking hard at Herago, who seemed frozen to the spot. Liana squeezed Herago's wrist, and at first he thought she was telling him that they should fly away. But then a voice came from behind Herago's mask.

'That is correct, Guardian,' said the deep, powerful Barty voice. 'Mipper Ling will merely hand me the objects for the demonstration. Upper Pring has been helping me with some of my research.' The Guardian looked satisfied.

'Very well,' said the Guardian. 'I wish you good day,' and he carried on with his patrol.

When they were out of the Guardian's sight, Herago turned to Liana.

'What happened? How did you do that' he said.

'Something I've been practising. I've been listening to people in the making-place, so I'm pretty good at Barty accents.'

'But how did you speak as though your voice was coming from my mask?' said Herago. 'I thought at first there was another Barty here. And your mask didn't wobble when that voice came from me.'

'It's useful to be able to speak without moving your lips, I find,' said Liana.

'It certainly is,' said Herago.

They continued along the street, keeping well away from the few people they saw, and even further away from any Guardians. This meant going a long way round, but eventually they arrived at a building which looked more pleasant than most of the others, as well as being not so high. This was where Pring lived with Pritch and their young ones.

Even though this building was not as big as many, there were lots of habitations there, on many different levels. They made their way through what seemed like a maze of corridors. Liana and Herago had never seen a living place like this, and would never have been able to find their way alone. It seemed as if there were twilfti or more people living in this building, unable to see one another, and with little space for them to gather together. Liana had the impression that people in Bartyronis didn't like to talk to one another, or to do anything together, and she felt sad for these people.

The door to the habitation slid open silently as they approached it, startling Liana and Herago. There were no doors like that in Seren-ila.

'You'll have to get used to these things,' said Pring. 'Much you will see in the next days will be very different from how things are in the Grabble lands.'

It was a bit of a shock to hear even Pring refer to Seren-ila by its Barty name. 'Seren-ila' was not so hard to say. Even friendly Bartys didn't really understand, she thought.

'Oh, we soon get used to things that look impossible. We've had lots of practice,' said Herago. He yawned. As they stepped through the door, both of them felt a sudden wave of tiredness overcome them. It was not surprising. They had been awake all night, and flying took a lot of energy. When they saw the big couch in the main room, both Liana and Herago took off their masks and Barty clothes, and slumped down on it. Within seconds, they were both asleep.