Chapter 53 (quetwi-fay): Teaching Tyro

It was no good. How could Pritch explain anything to Tyro, when Tyro kept saying not only that he already understood it all, but that he had invented every idea that Pritch brought up? It was very clear that Tyro didn't understand anything, and was nowhere near understanding it.

'As you know,' Pritch said, 'the universe is made up of fundamental particles, but these are...'

'Oh yes, I know all that,' said Tyro. 'I made all those parties, or whatever they are. Yes. I made some notes about it, but the Grabblers stole them.'

What was he talking about? Pritch was very worried. They had used up the herelina more quickly than they thought they would, and now it was no longer possible to contact Seren-ila. He just hoped that Liana and Herago would understand that their plan was still on, and would be able to get here for the Festival.

'What's happening with your ear, Pritch?' Tyro was saying now. Quickly, Pritch removed his finger from his ear.

'My apologies, Great Tyro. Just an itch.'

'Yes, well, stop scratching it. It makes me feel nervous.'

'Of course, Your Magnificence. Now, if I can just explain about how the device would work...'

'No,' said Tyro. 'I'm getting bored with all this. Stop explaining stuff I already know. Just give me the thing I have to read out, which is obviously what I thought anyway. I told Sleech there was no point in explaining stuff to me.'

That was true enough, Pritch thought. Anyway, what Pritch was trying to explain was difficult even for Pritch himself to understand. Really, Piacho should be here to explain it to Tyro. That would mean that the explanation might be clearer, but it was unlikely that Tyro would understand it any better.

Pritch gave up on the idea of Tyro being able to understand anything. He would just have to read out the explanation.

He wrote up the notes to be given to Tyro.