Chapter 19 (twil-ept): The crossing dream

The night after the meeting, Liana once again had a control dream. A flying dream. She flew above the top of Greblara, so that she could see to the other side. In the distance she saw strange buildings – high, shiny towers. There was also a tower near the mountain on the other side, though it seemed too thin to be a building in which people lived.

Liana looked down at the mountain, and tried to work out how difficult it would be for her mother to get down on the other side. She knew that what she saw came from her imagination, but even so, it seemed so real that it frightened her. She couldn't see any possible route to the bottom that didn't involve a terrifying sheer drop. Why was her imagination putting forward these images? She tried hard to imagine something different – a gentle winding path down the rocks – but the image wouldn't change. Better not to look. She turned again towards Seren-ila, with the beautiful lake water, Middle Meadow with its banks of flowers, and the Seren woods. She started to descend, to take a walk in the woods. Maybe she would find a friendly animal that she would talk to. Yes, that would calm her a little.

As she approached the grass clearing by the woodland path, something caught her eye. An unfamiliar object. But not entirely unfamiliar. She had seen it before, but where? It was a box, with a tube sticking out, and strange shapes on all sides. The tube was moving around, as though it was searching for something. Then it pointed straight at Liana, and she saw the eye on the end.

Then she remembered where she had seen it.

Then she woke up.