• five •

Chapter five

It's not just us anymore...

(Yuna's POV)

My body moved on its own once I finally realised who exactly the girl was. I had my arms wrapped around her so tight I thought I might break her.

She didn't react in any way at first, until I felt thin, delicate arms wrap around my waist in an almost equally tight embrace. I felt her nuzzle her head into my neck, releasing a breath from her nose as she did so. My mind was racing with even more questions than before. 'Why was she here? Is it only her? Who else did Konji-jiisan say was with her?' my thoughts were running wild; I really couldn't believe it.

Without letting the girl go, I tilted my head slightly, enough so that I could look at the old man. The confusion in my gaze was obvious to him, but even so, he didn't say anything and continued to stare at us. Knowing I wouldn't be getting anything else out of him I sighed; turning back to look at the girl in my arms. 'Nezuko... my sweet little cousin', I slowly peeled her off of me so that I could look at her face more clearly, she just stared at me owlishly, she said nothing. 'Well of course she couldn't with the bamboo muzzle over her mouth', that was another thing I wanted to ask about, but I'd clearly have to ask about it later.

"Nezuko... do you- do you remember me?" I had to ask, after all, the last time she saw me she was around seven years old. With bated breath, I waited, though I got my reply when she suddenly pulled me back into a hug. In that moment, I knew the answer and I couldn't stop the unwanted tears that escaped my eyes; beginning a steady flow until they turned into hot, crocodile tears, as I pulled her even closer than before. She only replied by patting my back softly.

We were stuck in that embrace for a while. A throat was cleared, before the gravelly voice of Urokodaki reached me. "I sent a letter to Haru as well, I am aware that he was at Giyu's estate?" Not letting Nezuko go I answered, "Yes, he left this morning..." I received a short hum of acknowledgment, but no further words were exchanged after that. The old man left soon after, claiming that he needed more wood.

After his departure, silence hung in the air for a few more minutes before I felt my cousin's head perk a little. She gently pulled away from me and turned her head towards one of the small windows, with her attention now towards whatever was outside, she shot up abruptly and made her way towards the door. Her next movements caused the wooden door to fall open with a clatter, with her taking placid steps out into the night-time environment soon after. I watched from my position of where she left me. Confused, I saw her calmly turn her head at a shocked shout, "Hey! Nezuko!" with that she disappeared from my sight and I could hear more shouts and a sudden thud.

Concerned, I quickly made my way out to see what was causing all the shouting, only to stop in my tracks. My gaze met the figure of another all too familiar person; like before, time seemed to stop again, as I stared at the new arrival too shocked to move. I was broken out of my stupor however, from the clattering of logs that Urokodaki had been carrying in his arms. 'Ahh... he's finally back', I stayed back as I watched him walk towards the kneeling teenagers; I watched as he embraced the both of them.