• seven •

Chapter seven

So much for relaxing...

(Time skip – a day before the Natagumo Mountain arc)

(Yuna's POV)

From the moment we had last seen Tanjiro and Nezuko, me and Haru have been going on the odd few missions, but other than that, not much has occurred since the reunion with our cousins. Although, we did receive a message from Jiro-kun that him and two other corps members he had met were currently recovering in a Wisteria House after their last mission. My siblings and I were worried, but we all knew he would be fine.

Today I was spending time at the estate, I wasn't expected anywhere, and I had no missions, therefore, I had taken over running clan business from Kaito (seeing as I was the clan head) while he went out to tend to the residents of the compound. -You see, after the time me and my siblings had spent residing in Kagaya's estate, the compound had been fixed up and renovated. Though, because of the almost extinction of our clan, all of the homes had no one to occupy them. And because neither of us was used to such a silent environment, I had talked to Kagaya about how I could possibly take in retired or out of commission members of the Corps. He had no qualms with my suggestion and agreed whole-heartedly, so now, the compound was back to its lively state, with both old, retired slayers and young slayers who could no longer serve after receiving incapacitating injuries, along with their family members.

Me and my siblings appreciated this new lively environment, and how it seemed to lessen the loneliness we would have felt had I not suggested such an idea.

Each person who we took in, seemed to feel the need to repay us back in some way, so now each member of the compound performed a certain role, whether it be from farming, to helping Kaito in our recovery room, or even to training the younger members who wanted to join the Corps.

Everything was in order at the compound, and we were all enjoying a peaceful day.

Though, with me being a Hashira, it wasn't long before I was called in for a mission, requesting that I make my way to the Ubuyashiki estate.

*Sigh* "and here I thought I'd be able to catch a break...." I say dejectedly, as I trudged my way out of the compound. I had altered my appearance before I stepped out of the estate, so now my appearance depicted me with long black hair and pale sea-foam-coloured eyes. While making my way out, I received multiple safe wishes and goodbyes from the other residents.

"Sa... it can't be helped." And with that, I was gone.

~

(Short time skip)

(Short time skip)

It didn't take me long to finally arrive at Kagaya's home, immediately making my way inside where I was greeted with Amane-chan. We exchanged light greetings before she led me to my childhood friend, who was sat in a room which allowed him a view of his estates beautiful garden. The Ubuyashiki matriarch leaving shortly after dropping me off.

As soon as I sat down, he instantly knew I was next to him and proceeded to ask me a routinely question- "What does the sky look like today?" which I replied, "today... the sky is painted a beautiful shade of blue, barely any clouds in sight, and the sun shines brightly..." We were both now facing towards the garden, a calm breeze gently washing over us, providing a short break from the light heat.

A beat of silence passed over us, before the Corps leader finally spoke, "I have a mission for you," his tone was soft however, still held authority. I stayed silent, waiting for him to continue, "we've been getting reports that a nearby village has had numerous amounts of disappearances, no matter who the person is... and what makes the matter all the more concerning is that those presumed missing are coming back as demons. But the reports from other corps members I had sent before had claimed that these demons were much different from anything that they'd ever encountered." He paused after that, turning his head to my form sitting next to him, waiting for my reply- "It must be serious then if you're sending me in, I'm assuming there has been an alarming number of deaths of corps members?" I asked, though already hazarding the answer, "Yes... too many than anyone would like... and I have an inkling suspicion as to what or who exactly is causing it."

With that answer I took a short inhalation of breath, before slowly releasing it. "You think it's that demon bastard Muzan... Don't you?" His calm smile remained on his face; he answered with a simple- "Unfortunately, that is what I believe so." I closed my eyes briefly after his answer, before opening them slightly into a narrowed gaze, which I now held as I looked upon his garden.

"Very well," I spoke, "I understand why you asked for me specifically then." The man next to me only continued to smile and titled his head up to face the sky. He spoke once more, "Though that is just my suspicion, your main objective is to investigate the disappearances and eliminate the villagers- turned demon..." "and if my suspicions are correct, you must avoid confronting him by any means... You may have hidden your existence from him for seven years, but the risk of him figuring out who you are exactly, is far too great." I felt my narrowed gaze slowly soften, "I want you safe, Yuna. Not only because you are my best Hashira, but also because you are my most precious friend. It may be selfish of me considering I was the one to have convinced you into becoming a pillar in the first place. But I want to be selfish, just this once..."

I couldn't say anything to that, so I gently took one of his hands that rested on his lap, I gave it a light squeeze, before speaking- "I will do as you wish, I'll fulfil your selfish command as my obligation to you and my loyalty also..." pausing for a moment, I spoke once more, "I will leave a few hours before sundown."

I felt Kagaya squeeze my hand gently in return; seeing him give an almost indistinguishable nod, before I lightly released his hand, and getting up to exit the room and leave the estate.

While in my haste to travel back to the compound, I thought- 'Now I need to inform Haru and Kaito that I'll be gone for a few days...'

*sigh* "So much for relaxing..."

A/N:

A/N:

Okay, I know I keep saying that things will begin to get interesting, but i promise this time, next chapter will definitely be it!

Like always, thanks for reading!

Total: 1120 words