~~ On The Run Again (10)~~

"Why are we heading to Middleton when we can travel to Arlington through Shazire?" Arianna sidestepped a sharp rock in the narrow path that had forced them to walk in a single file.

Two days ago, the Commander had informed her that they needed to continue their journey to the north as time was of the essence.

"Because that's where the Royal Guards will be waiting for us. It's too obvious," he replied without pausing, guiding Stormie through the narrow route in the valley that was blanketed in snow.

"But you are their leader!" She pointed out, trying to keep up with the Commander who had better stamina. "They can help you overthrow Riam."

Ethan halted and turned around. His expression gave away nothing. "They now answer to the new King, milady."

"But Riam killed his own family—"

"That is how it works." He shrugged off her objection.

"Why aren't you in service to Riam? After all, you are part of the Royal Guard too." Arianna wondered.

Ethan glowered. This time rather than answering he started to walk again, but at a faster pace that she had to trot to keep abreast.

Soon heavy snow slowed their progress to Shazire. It became unbearable to trek in the wilderness rather than the well-trodden path used by the travellers that led to Middleton. It was deemed best to avoid being sighted.

Her frozen feet made it impossible for Arianna to walk across the rough terrain that stretched for miles, covered in deep snow. She pulled Ethan's cloak closer to her neck as her cheeks felt raw with the merciless cold wind that slapped her face. Without warning, the sun vanished and their expedition was plunged into the bleakness.

Arianna was about to beg the Commander to stop but he spoke just then.

"We will seek shelter nearby."

For a moment, Arianna believed that she had heard him wrong. Did he really want to sleep in the open under the falling snowflakes? Everywhere Arianna looked, she just saw harsh wasteland.

"There is a cluster of trees not too far from here. We will seek refuge in one of them that has a hollow in its trunk that rivals the size of a stall in the Royal Stables."

"How do you know this?" Her eye widened at the news.

"I have scouted this area before," he explained tersely. "Look, over there! Do you see those trees huddled together? That's where we will take cover for the night. Come!"

He led her to the grove where the gnarled branches knotted together overhead and reached for the sky. It looked unnatural, as if the tall trees strived to give refuge to the wanderers.

They entered an opening between the two trunks and Arianna spotted the aforementioned hollow. An aged tree that looked to be hundreds of years old bore a cavity at the base of its trunk, which could easily house four people.

She tilted her head to see the canopy of branches above, providing amnesty from nature's wrath. The place was better than nothing.

Ethan went inside the hollow and beckoned her in.

Ignoring his hand, Ariana stepped inside and dropped to the ground from exhaustion.

He stiffened but turned his attention to feeding Stormie and building a small fire to keep them warm. Once done, he said, "Hope you don't mind another round of dried meat and nuts." With that, he offered her the food and sat down beside her.

The Commander seemed to take up all the room, so much so, that his legs brushed against hers. Arianna didn't have the energy to protest his nearness and ate in silence. With nothing to focus on, she couldn't help pondering her fate.