~~ The Unpleasant Tidings (12)~~

As the sunlight burst through into the room, Arianna stirred and stretched her legs. Her right hand felt numb and felt restrained. Frowning, she wondered why her arm felt and heavy and stiff.

Confused, she opened her eyes and realized to her horror that she was lying on top of the Commander. Her head was on his naked, warm chest, while her legs were wrapped around his. Embarrassment coloured her cheeks red.

Her dress had ridden up, baring her legs for the world to see while his male bulge pressed against her stomach. The blanket had been pushed aside somewhere during the night.

Heartbeat racing, she gazed up and noticed that Ethan had the look of a possessed man who had been left in the wilderness alone too long and had forgotten civility.

Gasping, Arianna untangled her limbs from his and backed away but couldn't go far. She Would have fallen off the pallet, had it not been for her hand was tied to the headboard.

"Are you afraid of me, Arianna?" Ethan looked displeased.

She retreated even more and accused, "You have never given me any reason to trust you, Commander, for you have shown me plenty of hatred and torture."

"And yet you kissed me last night," he remarked with a teasing smile.

"You stole the kiss from me!" she said with a note of defensiveness.

"And you didn't enjoy it?" He refused to give her reprieve.

"Commander, I beg you, don't take such familiarity with me. I may have lain with you in the cave as it was necessary for your survival. However, it doesn't mean that you lay with me with no regard to my feelings."

"Tell me why such duplicity last night?" He referred to yesterday's events where she had resorted to reckless trickery to make her escape with little thought.

"I had to get away from you. You have mistreated me because of my Pyrian blood, as if I am a savage with no feelings. I mean, you show more reverence to a tavern's strumpet," Arianna rambled in despair. Her nerves got the better of her upon discovering herself in his embrace when he was not to be trusted.

Ethan's lips pursed into a thin line.

"I didn't mean to deceive you three years ago, if that's the cause of your anger. I was new in Ishtar and lonely. It was raining and the hut was the only shelter..."

"Nay! Don't you get it! I almost compromised you then, not knowing you were a lady. I am an Arlingtonian; we don't take women lightly, especially nobility. But when Lucas took your name. It broke me as I knew who you were. You were called to the court so I could keep a watch on you on King's orders." Ethan ran his hand through his hair in disgust.

"Keep a watch on me?" She startled at what he had just said.

"I hated myself for interrogating you, but I had no choice. I had to pretend to despise you as Riam's spies kept an eye on us when Vanguerre suspected that I fav- I held you in high regard after our dance." A weary sigh escaped him.

Arianna shook her head. Her hollow voice sounded disembodied to her ears, as if someone else spoke. "I don't understand. What you are talking about?"

"Riam convinced Faelon to call you from Harrowton. The rebels in Morag continued to create trouble in the north and Pyrians in the south. He was adamant that you were part of southern rebellion as your mother was the old chief's niece. Your uncle grew paranoid that you wanted him dead." He looked as if he was telling her this against his better judgement.

Arianna covered her mouth in horror. Nay! It can be!

Glancing up at her, he went on, "I had to treat you with suspicion as Riam would have either harmed you to teach me a lesson or put more tribute payments on my country. I knew he was behind the conspiracy, but I had no proof. Further, he had unrestricted access to the king as his brother."