~~ The King (14)~~

After being on the run for four nights without stopping except for a brief rest, for food and privy, Ethan prepared Arianna for the worst.

"We will get to the border soon and we might find soldiers already over there. I am sorry, but this is the only way. We will have to take the risk of crossing it and being discovered."

Ethan had abandoned his original plan of crossing to Arlington through Bluedale. Since they had made a hasty escape from Middleton, he was certain that Riam would anticipate his passage through the neutral kingdom. So, he had made up his mind to traverse through the edge of Shazire to his country – a dangerous quest

Hence, they had mostly travelled through the cover of a dark forest with dense silence punctuated by the howls of wild beasts that had drained the blood from Arianna's face. Though she didn't voice a single complaint.

During the nights, she would huddle in her cloak to ward off the cruel frigidness that clung in the air. Ethan tried to share his own with her when her lips would chatter. If he had a spare cloak, he would have given it to her, but he needed his own to keep the frostbite at bay. Instead, he rubbed her back when she would slump against his chest. However, unlike last time, he had ensured they had fur-lined footwear, gloves and heavy scarves that protected their exposed skins against the harsh climate.

A wolf's call to the night woke her up. She all but jumped. "W-what was that, Commander?"

"Shh," he whispered while his ears remained attuned to the rustling of the leaves. The horse they had ridden on, gave a jittery neigh. "Don't make a sound. It will go away."

In the darkness, guided by the moonlight, she gripped his arm. Ethan remained on guard, if any creature attacked, he had to be ready. Soon, the tensed moment waned and he let out a sigh of relief. He had expected trouble, as once the wolves picked up the human scent, they barely let their prey go. Perhaps this one didn't move in a pack.

The next morning, the weather gave them a reprieve. A blazing sun crested overhead when the thick trees around them dwindled to a clearing ahead. Ethan knew they were at the region where the borders of all the three countries converged. They had done the unthinkable and covered the vast landscape in a such short time though at the cost of their strength.

He heard the rushing sound of water. His parched throat throbbed.

"We are out of the water," Arianna mumbled. Her expression looked wistful.

Ethan nodded despite his misgivings.

As soon as they neared the river, they were surrounded by four men who all wore black. The colour of death. Riam's men.

Arianna gasped in horror.

"It's good to see you, Commander," a man sneered. He looked to be the leader of the ragtag group.

Ethan recognized him. He was one of too many sentries who served under him. "Good morn, Petri. Always lurking about the generals. Spying for Riam, I suppose."

Petri gloated. "So, you know who I am, Commander. See the likes of you would never notice me. Who would have thought that someone like me actually had a bigger job to do?"

"The fact that I noticed you meant that you weren't a good spy." Ethan's eyes scanned the area.

Petri turned several shades of red. "Cocky fucker till your last moment, eh."

Ethan didn't choose to answer. He could feel Arianna trembling next to him. Craning his head, he muttered, "Whatever happens, stay beside me. If I die, jump in the river. Do not get caught. Understood."