~~ The Journey (17)~~

Seether shook her awake.

Groggily, she opened her eyes. Her neck felt stiff from resting against the tent's pole where she was tied to.

"We are leaving," he informed her awkwardly.

Arianna wanted to refuse.

"The king said that if you don't hurry, he will tie you to his horse himself," the general told her. "His mood hasn't improved. My advice is not to test him further, milady."

Still feeling the shame of being physically reprimanded by Ethan in front of his men, she nodded.

"Your face is a bit swollen. Let the healer take a look at you."

Her eyes flashed with wounded pride. "Nay let it be. It will remind me what a fool I have been."

Her distress caused his expression to soften, he murmured, "The king is young and his reign is new. Please make it easier for him, Lady Arianna. I am deeply saddened that he had to resort to such measures."

"You don't have to make amend on his behalf." She bowed her head.

Instead of replying, Seether extended his hand to her. Arianna took it and allowed him to escort her out. She saw Ethan conferring Baron Rouan not too far.

Their eyes met. There was no remorse on his face at how he had treated her.

She scowled and turned to observe the warriors dismantling the tents methodically. Their efficiency ensured their readiness for their journey. Strangely, it reminded her of the odd tasks Ethan had done at the tavern.

"I hope I get my own horse to travel to my doom," she speculated.

"Nay, milady, but you get to share a ride with me," Seether intervened before Ethan could say something.

"Seether," Ethan began. "The decision..."

"It's for the best, my friend, you need your wits about yourself. And, Lady Arianna here had a trying day. If she rides with me, I can ease her worries, while you can focus on your men," Seether told him emphatically.

Arianna knew that the Seether was brokering a peace-offering.

Ethan glared at his general and then he stalked away.

Glad that she didn't have to deal with Ethan any further. It was for the best. She was too drained for another confrontation that would surely lead to her being thrown in the dungeons.

Her head ached terribly from the fall she had taken. Arianna ignored the squire's stare at the livid bruising on her face when she mounted on the horse with his help. Soon, Seether hauled himself behind her in one fluid movement.

"Rest against me, milady. You have been so brave today. I shall ride gently," Seether assured her. "Please let me know when you wish to stop for a rest."

"What about the rest of the army?" she asked.

"They will stop too." He smiled. "You are our esteemed guest and a daughter of a duke. They are at your service as the king wishes it."

"The sulking one over there." She frowned at Ethan lead his men forward.

"Yes!" He winked, stifling his smile.

She couldn't help laughing.

Ethan turned around and remarked, "I see her ladyship is in high spirits."

"I am making an acquaintance with Lady Arianna. Fear not, Ethan, I intend to know everything about her by the time we arrive at the White Palace," Seether said jovially.