~~The House of Arlington (21)~~

Jay Pasha hid behind the bushes while keeping an eye on the target. It moved as if sensing the whisper of the leaves. He knew what to do and let the arrow fly. 

Within seconds the animal was dead. His fellow bandits would have a hearty supper today rather than the boiled vegetation they had been surviving on.

He whistled to a young man not too far from him. His sandy-haired companion nodded and clambered out of his hiding spot to drag their kill to their makeshift hideouts deep in the woods where even the scraggly paths were afraid to venture. They were beyond Blood Lake. The canopied monstrosity of the trees offered them protection from Riam's men.

The uncanny place always sent shivers down his spine, but Jay shook them away. He needed to keep his wits about him. This as no time to get spooked by some children's tales meant to keep the young ones from mischief.

He watched as Fred dragged the dead animal towards him. Nodding, he and other men made their way to the caves where they had sought shelter after escaping the regicide. There were a total of twenty of them. All former Estoir soldiers or the castle's servants. There had been women and children, but they had left them behind in the safe houses in the capital. There was no bounty on the latter. They only had to lay low until the new self-proclaimed king called off his henchmen.

Riam and his men were interested in killing the upper nobility. Most of them had died a brutal death. No one had survived. His stomach churned at the thought. He contemplated the events of the fateful night. He had tried to reach Arianna's chambers, but the fighting had thwarted him. Then there was a matter of avoiding the traitors who were scouring the castle for her.

Jay had searched for her, even for her mutilated body, but to no avail. He missed her. She had left behind a hole in his heart. He had even offered the last rituals for Arianna. Grief made him do it. The anger was yet to come.

The aroma of cooked meat distracted him from the horrible past and brought him to the fore. Soon, he tore at the hunk of dried bread and the drumstick and ate with gusto. Wiping his hands on his grimy tunic that begged for a wash, he closed his eyes and sighed.

"This is good even without the herbs," Fred said.

"My thanks for cooking it." Jay tipped his head at him. "This is a feast fit for the fine company."

"What's a better company than the present one." Tomas chuckled. His tunic was covered in fresh blood along with the grime and unthinkable. "Here is to being alive and defiant."

The other men around them grunted but didn't say much as they had been cold and hungry for many nights with only their armour and scant animal skin to keep them warm in their small space.

A snap of twigs made everyone spring into action and grab their swords or makeshift weapons of sharp stones.

Nuallen, Bevis and Sarem appeared through the thick of the woods. They were the only Royal Guards known to survive the butchery when Faelon had fallen. The others who were alive had sworn fealty to Riam.

"You are back early!" Jay jumped to his feet. The trio had scouted for news to keep abreast of what was happening before determining the next step. "Did you discover something useful?"

"Soldier, move aside and let us have some of that food," Bevis said, making his way to the pit to break a piece of cooked meat off it.

Jay gritted his teeth. He had always despised the haughtiness of the Royal Guards. Despite everything they had been through, they thought themselves above everyone, even now, especially Bevis.

"Don't mind him," Nuallen told him. "He has a reason to be grumpy."

"Why?" Jay asked in a low tone.

"I will tell you why," Bevin bellowed. His abruptness left a hush in his wake.