~~ The Henchmen (13)~~

On the third day of their stay, Ethan busied himself with scrubbing the tables in the dining area. It was well past dinnertime. All the patrons and wenches had gone to sleep off their daily grind and exhaustion.

Given her broken spirits, Arianna's heart hadn't been in anything lately. Even the food tasted like sawdust and the music touched her nerves rather than stir her soul like it usually did. She felt disheartened and wondered if she could ever see her province, Harrowton, again.

The Commander hadn't touched the topic of conspiracy again since the night the merchants had brought the news from Estoir and neither she had breached the issue again.

Tonight, she had half-heartedly volunteered to help him with the cleaning but he had declined her offer.

"You have been quiet today," Ethan glanced at her.

She shrugged. "Tell me more about Arlington, Commander."

"I'd rather not use my title." Ethan scouted the area about them for a eavesdropper.

She turned her face away at the reproach.

He knew how to lighten her spirits and touched for the safer grounds. "What else do you know about my country?"

"I know they loathe any magic and supernatural beliefs. I have heard many folklores from there that boast of hefty punishments for those who partake in it." She got up to sit on the nearby chair where he cleaned. "In my province, there are a few oracles that dabble in such art."

After a prolonged silence, Ethan said, "In some towns, each house has a different wall colour to show its glory. Mostly, they are yellow, white, blue and red. It's a riot of colours. You will like it. The women folks over there are much more daring than the city ones. They chose whoever they want to marry and part ways when things fall out of favour."

Her face broke into an unexpected smile. "I would like to meet such women with that much freedom. Tell me, have you met anyone like that? I mean your face is normally devoid of any emotion and yet all the females favoured you in Estoir. Is it the same in your country?"

His face shuttered. "Kings don't wear their heart on their sleeves."

"My apologies, I don't mean to be frivolous." Arianna sighed. "I- I am going there as a fugitive with you and yet you are a stranger to me. You have watched me at the court for years, as you claim under King Faelon's orders without my knowledge. It's only fair that I know something about you."

Were their paths entwined like he had said a few nights ago? She wondered for the hundredth time since her failed attempt to escape. The folly of her mad plan pricked her still.

Ethan stopped scrubbing the scarred table as if realizing her dilemma. "There is nothing much to know. I have a mother and a younger brother. I rule a country that has no sovereignty..." His voice trailed off.

"What else?" She prodded. Her thirst to know more grew. They were sleeping side by side, like misfortune bedmates who needed each other in the dark times for any solace as mischief lurked in every corner.

The rag from his hand fell. He seemed to ponder for a minute before he opened his mouth. "Unlike my countrymen, I can't marry just anyone. My future wife has to have royal Arlington blood in her veins."

"No foreigners for you, then? Those poor Estoirie ladies," she teased.

He leaned closer with a mischievous smile. "I will you tell you a secret and only my brother knows it, I cried when my favourite toy broke."

"Such a secret may ruin your reputation. Fear not, my lips are sealed." She laughed softly.

"Are you funning me?" His eyes twinkled with silent mirth.