~~ The Fragile Trust (15)~~

Arlington was part of her country. It was how the world had worked, at least before King Faelon's downfall.

"Your majesty, my apologies, the wench just marched in impulsively without waiting," said the soldier, the one who had tried to stop Arianna. The latter stood right behind her.

Arianna glared at her. How dare she call her a wench when she was nobility? Then her heart sank. Her title would be stripped once Petri tells Riam that she had fled with the Commander. Her manor in Harrowton and its surrounding lands would belong to Riam. She had nothing to her name.

In her haste to escape the Riam's men and to plead her freedom from Ethan, she had never fully thought these things through. Ignoring her relapse in judgement, she tilted her chin up and stared at the man before her.

Whatever her fate, she would face it with poise.

Ethan glanced at his soldier. "It's Lady Harrowton for you, soldier. She is the daughter of a duke who was the blood cousin to the late King Faelon. Now, you may go, Laneez." He waved at her dismissively.

She bowed and disappeared.

Then Arianna felt his piercing gaze.

"Wouldn't you do the King the honour of a courtesy, milady? It's a custom of civilized nations," he said rather silkily; it gave her gooseflesh.

"I am an Estoirie and you are not my king." She refused to drop him a courtesy. Riam was a usurper, but there was the rightful heir to the throne somewhere. Maybe Prince Izaar was alive. Then there were his two illegitimate sons, his by-blows.

An angry buzz broke out in the room. Some muttered in protest at her gall, while others gave her disapproving looks. One distinguished man, with a headful of grey hair, slammed his fist on the table, disturbing the maps on it. One, in particular, slithered on the richly woven rug.

Those deep blue eyes censured her. As if to test her daring, Ethan held out his hand. "Do me the honour of joining me for dinner then?"

Arianna didn't budge.

The annoyed shakes of the heads and grumblings that sounded like angry bees intensified.

Ethan sighed and declared, "Gentlemen, the lady has requested an audience with me. Please leave us alone and excuse her disobedience, she had a rather a hard time ever since she has escaped from Estoir with me."

They filed past her with thinned lips and knotted brows.

General Seether stopped before her and bowed his head slightly. "Milady."

When it was just them, Ethan walked to a spindly table by the massive pallet with thick bedding and rich furs. He poured wine into a goblet and held it out to her.

She declined it. "Am I a political prisoner here?"

Annoyed, Ethan motioned her to sit on the pallet, but she stood standing. Exhaling at her continued defiance, he said, "It wouldn't do well with the people if you continue to be rude to me, Arianna. As a king, you have to pay me the respect that is due to me. This will be my final warning. In private, you can bring your grievances to me like any of my subjects but in front of my countrymen, you will show me respect. Understood."

A shiver went down her spine at the gentle rebuff before she nodded.

"No, you are my ward and I am your guardian. Nothing has changed. I intend to protect you from any harm, as I promised your father. I am a man of my words," he replied, taking a sip from the goblet he had proffered her.

"You are different now, Com..." Arianna struggled to keep her voice steady, feeling lost. She didn't know what to call him anymore, she left her sentence unfinished.