~~The Lost Soltana (22)~~

"Your Majesty," Lavenia stuttered in horror. She stumbled, almost losing her footing. "I was showing Lady... I mean our honoured guest around. Um, Soltana Arianna, I present you our esteemed Dowager Queen Rowena."

Feeling awkward, Arianna semi-curtsied. Doing a full curtsey would have landed in her water. "Your Majesty," she murmured, feeling like a fool.

"How did you end up in the fountain with our guest?" The Queen arched her brow. Her question made other women twitter. Some looked genuinely curious.

Lavenia eased her way forward and swung her leg over the wall to the dry ground. She helped Arianna out. "The Soltana wanted to admire the sculptures from up close."

"Now that you have scrutinized the fine details, what do you think of them, Soltana?" The Queen gave Arianna an inquisitive look with a pleasant smile as she played along with the maid's game.

It was strange to be addressed by her mother's title. She had barely used it in Estoir as it meant trouble. "It's singular in every way. The masters have done justice to their work. The intricacy is breathtaking, especially the infusion of various cultures, like the crown of Sakina on the centaur. Historians say she was a great horsewoman. It's a perfect tribute."

"You know your history, my child." Rowena sounded impressed. "I honestly thought our Lavenia had persuaded you into one of her mischiefs. I get a full accounting of her shenanigans every month."

"She has been very kind to me and a great source of information about your country's customs and traditions," Arianna said with bravado when she realized her maid won't be flogged as Faelon would have seen to it.

"I am glad Lavenia has been helpful. Maya would be happy to hear it."

Arianna noticed the girl was literally glowing at the reception of the direct praise from a queen, no less. She added for good measure. "I can vouch for her. She's harmless."

"How are you finding your new life at the palace?" Queen Rowena's face softened. Her dark eyes observed her with shrewdness.

"It could have been worse. I am thankful for the hospitality," she replied, schooling her face into an impassive mask.

"I heard you saved Ethan's life after escaping the uprising. The new King and the royal family are forever in your debt." Rowena took her hands into hers and squeezed them gently. "As a mother, you have no idea how it heartens me that he had someone watching his back during his difficult journey here."

A flush stole over her cheeks as every pair of eyes flitted back to her. Lady Elora Oreck stiffened and averted her gaze. Arianna wondered if Ethan's mother would still thank her after she became aware of their complicated relationship.

It appeared she was oblivious to how her son had treated Arianna with contempt in Estoir. She bristled at his indifference towards her in Arlingtonian court. They had yet to have an audience together. It may as well be fine as she yearned to deliver him a blow.

After their first encounter, he had stalked her every move in the Castle as a Commander. It was only when Faelon had fallen Ethan had shown a human side of himself. Yes, she had attempted to run away in Middleton, but weirdly enough, it was where they had understood each other if only for a short while.

"He got hurt saving my life, Your Majesty. I did what I could at the time," she said, biting her lips not to speak her mind at how he had broken the treaty with Estoir and brought her to his country under false pretenses. She felt like a political prisoner awaiting her fate.

Some of her self-doubts must have shown on her face. The Queen turned to the others. "Please, leave me with Soltana. Yes, you too, Lavenia."

Lady Elora Oreck's lips thinned but retreated with a reverent 'As you wish, Your Majesty.'